My Site is Awful :(

Discussion in 'HTML' started by DJS2C, Dec 2, 2004.

  1. DJS2C

    DJS2C Guest

    Sorry to burst in as a lurking newb :( I will be around and Hi Im James a
    young designer from the south coast (UK). I used to post on alt.rave but as
    im out the sence for a while (hard to explain)

    :( im Learning HTML / CSS / DWeaver / etc so I can make a music site for a
    Record / VJ Label. I was a print / advertsing designer for a fair old while
    also.

    Anyway to practise im making sites for people and this site was fine in DW04
    on my Mac and I havn't learnt so much code yet...which is the reason I think
    it's all over the place now iv uploaded it.

    Links dont change colour, Contact formating is wrong, contact nav bar is
    shifted , source code looks terrible and Has load of Validation errors :(
    Any help would be sweet

    www.ukcleaningcontractors.com

    Thank You

    James
    DJS2C, Dec 2, 2004

  2. DJS2C

    Neal Guest

    Neal, Dec 2, 2004

  3. In article <coo89l$b9f$>, DJS2C
    () dropped a +5 bundle of words...

    > Sorry to burst in as a lurking newb :( I will be around and Hi Im James a
    > young designer from the south coast (UK). I used to post on alt.rave but as
    > im out the sence for a while (hard to explain)
    >
    > :( im Learning HTML / CSS / DWeaver / etc so I can make a music site for a
    > Record / VJ Label. I was a print / advertsing designer for a fair old while
    > also.
    >
    > Anyway to practise im making sites for people and this site was fine in DW04
    > on my Mac and I havn't learnt so much code yet...which is the reason I think
    > it's all over the place now iv uploaded it.
    >
    > Links dont change colour, Contact formating is wrong, contact nav bar is
    > shifted , source code looks terrible and Has load of Validation errors :(
    > Any help would be sweet
    >
    > www.ukcleaningcontractors.com
    >
    > Thank You
    >
    > James

    Starshine Moonbeam
    mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30
    sTaRShInE_mOOnBeAm aT HoTmAil dOt CoM
    Starshine Moonbeam, Dec 2, 2004
  4. DJS2C

    Dan Ruscoe Guest

    In article <coo89l$b9f$>,
    says...
    > Sorry to burst in as a lurking newb :( I will be around and Hi Im James a
    > young designer from the south coast (UK). I used to post on alt.rave but as
    > im out the sence for a while (hard to explain)
    >
    > :( im Learning HTML / CSS / DWeaver / etc so I can make a music site for a
    > Record / VJ Label. I was a print / advertsing designer for a fair old while
    > also.
    >
    > Anyway to practise im making sites for people and this site was fine in DW04
    > on my Mac and I havn't learnt so much code yet...which is the reason I think
    > it's all over the place now iv uploaded it.
    >
    > Links dont change colour, Contact formating is wrong, contact nav bar is
    > shifted , source code looks terrible and Has load of Validation errors :(
    > Any help would be sweet
    >
    > www.ukcleaningcontractors.com

    http://www.ukcleaningcontractors.co.uk ?

    You don't really need Dreamweaver for a basic site like that. It can all
    be hand-coded in plain HTML and CSS, and without validation errors.

    Plus, you wouldn't have this rubbish:

    --
    Dan Ruscoe
    Dan Ruscoe, Dec 2, 2004
  5. DJS2C

    Neal Guest

    DJS2C wrote:

    > Links dont change colour, Contact formating is wrong, contact nav bar is
    > shifted , source code looks terrible and Has load of Validation errors :(
    > Any help would be sweet
    >
    > www.ukcleaningcontractors.com

    A few immediate points:

    1) alt is for the text you want in place of the image when it doesn't
    load. Right now your alt text is more like title text. If the image is
    text, use the text of the image for alt.

    2) Text as image is bad. IE cannot resize it, so you shut out many
    visual-impaired customers. And your large image as text has NO alt, so
    without the image all your copy is lost. Oh, and BTW, your logo has a
    spelling error. The text below could easily have been regular text, which
    is easy to fix, but now you have to edit the image.

    3) And why the links don't change? They're images. You don't need images
    for these links, use text instead. Regular anchor links with text will
    have color according to whether it's visited or not.

    Here's an example of your code which isn't terribly good.

    expanding company supplying cleaning and ironing services </p> <p>to
    many households across the south.<br> Our clients rely on us to
    provide honest and reliable cleaners</p>

    Here's how you ought to code it.

    <h1>Welcome to the UKCC Web Site</h1>
    many households across the south. Our clients rely on us to provide honest
    and reliable cleaners.</p>

    All that white space you use is collapsed anyhow. Using the heading markup
    is better HTML and better SEO too - use CSS to change the look of the
    heading if you prefer. The breaks are not needed, allow the text to wrap
    as it will. If you absolutely need one between the sentences in the
    paragraph ("... across the south.<br>Our clients...", ok, I'll let you ;)

    If why the above is better markup isn't clear to you, ask.

    Using basic markup and CSS I could do this page in perhaps a quarter of
    the weight. So can you. No scripts. No images as text. Even no tables.
    Give it a try.
    Neal, Dec 3, 2004
  6. DJS2C

    DJS2C Guest

    "Neal" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:25:42 +0000 (UTC), DJS2C
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > www.ukcleaningcontractors.com

    > Nothing there...

    Sorry it's www.ukcleaningcontractors.co.uk

    Have read posts and thanks alot for all your help. Nice one :)

    Will be implementing and coming back :)

    James
    DJS2C, Dec 3, 2004
  7. DJS2C

    DJS2C Guest

    > http://www.ukcleaningcontractors.co.uk ?
    >
    > You don't really need Dreamweaver for a basic site like that. It can all
    > be hand-coded in plain HTML and CSS, and without validation errors.

    yeh I know but im trying to lean DW (and code) so a simple site is a good
    place to start..wanted to try my new computer purchases as well. I have only
    had my Mac etc a few weeks.

    > Plus, you wouldn't have this rubbish:

    yep im finding out, not sure why DW has put it all in one line either !

    DJS2C, Dec 3, 2004
  8. DJS2C

    DJS2C Guest

    "Neal" <> wrote in message
    > DJS2C wrote:
    >
    > > Links dont change colour, Contact formating is wrong, contact nav bar is
    > > shifted , source code looks terrible and Has load of Validation errors

    :(
    > > Any help would be sweet
    > >
    > > www.ukcleaningcontractors.com.uk

    > A few immediate points:

    Thank you

    > 1) alt is for the text you want in place of the image when it doesn't
    > load. Right now your alt text is more like title text. If the image is
    > text, use the text of the image for alt.

    Changed

    > 2) Text as image is bad. IE cannot resize it, so you shut out many
    > visual-impaired customers. And your large image as text has NO alt, so
    > without the image all your copy is lost. Oh, and BTW, your logo has a
    > spelling error. The text below could easily have been regular text, which
    > is easy to fix, but now you have to edit the image.

    Noted and changed the image, is now a background to a cell so I can place
    the text near it. AM having difficultys lining things up if I place the text
    near it I have to start making new cells as on the same line is now my text
    nav bar so I cant align

    > 3) And why the links don't change? They're images. You don't need images
    > for these links, use text instead. Regular anchor links with text will
    > have color according to whether it's visited or not.

    Have changed

    > Here's an example of your code which isn't terribly good.

    > expanding company supplying cleaning and ironing services </p> <p>to
    > many households across the south.<br> Our clients rely on us to
    > provide honest and reliable cleaners</p>
    >
    > Here's how you ought to code it.
    >
    > <h1>Welcome to the UKCC Web Site</h1>
    > many households across the south. Our clients rely on us to provide honest
    > and reliable cleaners.</p>

    Nice am looking at my code...

    > All that white space you use is collapsed anyhow.

    What do you meen collapsed??

    Using the heading markup
    > is better HTML and better SEO too - use CSS to change the look of the

    SEO? not sure what that meens

    DJS2C, Dec 4, 2004
  9. DJS2C

    DJS2C Guest

    "DJS2C" <> wrote in message

    > "Neal" <> wrote in message
    > > DJS2C wrote:
    > >
    > > > Links dont change colour, Contact formating is wrong, contact nav bar

    is
    > > > shifted , source code looks terrible and Has load of Validation errors

    > :(
    > > > Any help would be sweet
    > > >
    > > > www.ukcleaningcontractors.com.uk

    > > A few immediate points:

    > Thank you
    > >
    > > 1) alt is for the text you want in place of the image when it doesn't
    > > load. Right now your alt text is more like title text. If the image is
    > > text, use the text of the image for alt.

    > Changed
    >

    > > 2) Text as image is bad. IE cannot resize it, so you shut out many
    > > visual-impaired customers. And your large image as text has NO alt, so
    > > without the image all your copy is lost. Oh, and BTW, your logo has a
    > > spelling error. The text below could easily have been regular text,

    which
    > > is easy to fix, but now you have to edit the image.

    > Noted and changed the image, is now a background to a cell so I can place
    > the text near it. AM having difficultys lining things up if I place the

    text
    > near it I have to start making new cells as on the same line is now my

    text
    > nav bar so I cant align it?
    >
    > > 3) And why the links don't change? They're images. You don't need images
    > > for these links, use text instead. Regular anchor links with text will
    > > have color according to whether it's visited or not.

    > Have changed
    >

    > > Here's an example of your code which isn't terribly good.

    > > expanding company supplying cleaning and ironing services </p>

    > > many households across the south.<br> Our clients rely on us to
    > > provide honest and reliable cleaners</p>
    > >
    > > Here's how you ought to code it.
    > >
    > > <h1>Welcome to the UKCC Web Site</h1>

    > > many households across the south. Our clients rely on us to provide

    honest
    > > and reliable cleaners.</p>

    > Nice am looking at my code...
    >

    > > All that white space you use is collapsed anyhow.

    > What do you meen collapsed??
    >
    > Using the heading markup
    > > is better HTML and better SEO too - use CSS to change the look of the

    > SEO? not sure what that meens
    >
    > > heading if you prefer. The breaks are not needed, allow the text to wrap
    > > as it will. If you absolutely need one between the sentences in the
    > > paragraph ("... across the south.<br>Our clients...", ok, I'll let you

    ;)

    > > If why the above is better markup isn't clear to you, ask.

    To help with content formating, keeping things spearate from each other? And
    the text not wrapping was one of the things cauing me trouble , pushing my
    cells around.

    > > Using basic markup and CSS I could do this page in perhaps a quarter of
    > > the weight. So can you. No scripts. No images as text. Even no tables.
    > > Give it a try.

    No tables! I have kept them for now but am implementing.

    Sorry posted and didnt meen to ment to save it..Not quite finished yet. Few
    new problems now lol as well.
    Progress is up.

    James

    DJS2C, Dec 4, 2004
  10. DJS2C

    Neal Guest

    DJS2C wrote:

    >> All that white space you use is collapsed anyhow.

    > What do you meen collapsed??

    If you have <p>This paragraph has a long space in it.</p> the
    browser should render it:

    This paragraph has a long space in it.

    > SEO? not sure what that meens

    Search Engine Optimization.