    http://www.paradisa.net/

    .... just let us know about any css, accessability problems etc. Many
    thanks.

    King of Red Lions, Nov 19, 2004

  2. King of Red Lions

    rf Guest

    King of Red Lions

    > http://www.paradisa.net/
    >
    > ... just let us know about any css, accessability problems etc. Many
    > thanks.

    Light grey text on white is totally unreadable for me.

    So is fly dropping sized fonts.

    Enlarging the font a *lot* does not help the readability. It reamins very
    hard to read light grey on white.

    What for bloody &deity;'s sake is wrong with simple BLACK on WHITE, you
    know, just like you are reading now, in your newsreader?

    Why does everybody who spews together a web page these days insist on bloody
    unredable pastel colours? It's giving me the shits.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 19, 2004

  3. King of Red Lions

    Steve Pugh Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:52:28 +0000, King of Red Lions
    <thaynes/no_spam/@gawab.com> wrote:

    > Can anyone please comment on my site ...
    >
    > http://www.paradisa.net/
    >
    > ... just let us know about any css, accessability problems etc. Many
    > thanks.

    Small text with poor contrast is hard to read.

    Links aren't underlined and use the same colour as ordinary copy: how can
    a casual visitor know what's a link and what isn't? By waving their mouse
    over every piece of text on the page?

    Wasteful repetitive inline styles, e.g.
    <b style='font-size: 80%; float: right; margin-right: 10px'>
    Use a class instead.

    Not using proper mark up, e.g.
    <h2>A few favourites of mine</h2>
    and surely that list of films should be a list?

    <h1> appears towards the bottom of the page.

    Hit counter appears floating on top of everything else at the top of the
    page.

    Links to June/July/August/September appear on every page and all link to
    blank pages.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh, Nov 19, 2004
  4. King of Red Lions

    Philip Ronan Guest

    King of Red Lions wrote:

    > Can anyone please comment on my site ...
    >
    > http://www.paradisa.net/
    >
    > ... just let us know about any css, accessability problems etc. Many
    > thanks.

    Looks a bit foggy in there. How about turning up the contrast a bit?

    > <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 Transitional//EN"
    > "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

    You're asking for trouble there. See <http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml>,
    for example. This might be a good time to jump off the XHTML bandwagon.

    Phil

    --
    Philip Ronan

    Philip Ronan, Nov 19, 2004
  5. King of Red Lions

    Steve Pugh Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:38:16 +0000, Philip Ronan
    <> wrote:
    > King of Red Lions wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone please comment on my site ...
    >>
    >> http://www.paradisa.net/

    >> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 Transitional//EN"
    >> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

    When I glanced at the site code I saw XHTML and Transitional and my mind
    must have filled in 1.0 between them.

    > You're asking for trouble there.

    Very true.

    There's no such thing as XHTML 1.1 Transitional, so the doctype is bogus
    to start with,.

    Then there's the whole mess with using 1.1 with the wrong content-type
    header...

    Steve

    Steve Pugh, Nov 19, 2004
  6. King of Red Lions

    jake Guest

    In message <cnkfno$8ju$>, King of Red Lions
    <thaynes/no_spam/@gawab.com> writes
    >Can anyone please comment on my site ...
    >
    >http://www.paradisa.net/
    >
    >... just let us know about any css, accessability problems etc. Many
    >thanks.

    A few initial thoughts:

    (a) The contrast between the text and the background is waaay too low.

    (b) Specify the text in '%' ....... 100% for the body of the text.
    Specifying it in px means that IE users can't increase the size of the
    text to something readable without going into 'accessibility mode'.

    Unfortunately, you've also specified a line height in px (which IE
    retains) and so that in 'accesibility mode' the text becomes pretty
    unreadable:
    http://www.gododdin.demon.co.uk/ng/PAR01.JPG (27k)

    (c) You could, perhaps, put in a more useful <title></title>

    (d) The site needs a *lot* more use of headings ( <h1><H2><h3><h4>,
    etc.) to help users of assistive technology (screen readers, etc.) to
    navigate the site more easily.

    (e) mark up any lists in the HTML as 'lists'

    (f) Put an 'invisible' note at the start of the page to the effect that
    'all blog comments open in a new window'. Users of AT who miss the audio
    queue that a new window is opening may well get a little confused ;-)

    (g) Sounds OK .. and with a few changes, should look OK too.

    Just a few thoughts.

    regards.
    --
    Jake

    jake, Nov 19, 2004
  7. King of Red Lions wrote:
    > Can anyone please comment on my site ...
    >
    > http://www.paradisa.net/
    >
    > ... just let us know about any css, accessability problems etc. Many
    > thanks.

    Cool cool. Thanks to everyone who commented on my site and pointed out
    a few dodgy aspects. I take all constructive critisism very seriously
    and appreciate peeps taking the time to look. Many thanks!

    King of Red Lions, Nov 19, 2004