My Take On Liquid Images in Web Design [Mimic]

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mimic, Jul 13, 2005.

  1. Mimic

    Mimic Guest

    Let me start by saying, I do NOT claim to be an expert in PHP or Image
    Manipulation. And I scarcely touch JS. I enjoy using PHP and the like,
    but am by no means an authority on the language.

    The following describes features, limitations and conclusions on my
    liquid image method. The test image isnt of high quality, but you
    shouldnt have any problems with others. The files can be found here:

    Code : http://alt2600.go.ro/
    Test IMG: http://alt2600.go.ro/sara.png

    [and no, Im not romanian ;)]

    Liquid Images [dev Mimic]
    -------------------------
    In this version I have elimiated the reliance on cookies, instead using
    a POST variable with a redirect, supressing any initial errors, the user
    will have no idea this stage takes effect.

    The user need not click 'refresh' or 'go' in order to resize the image.
    As was the case in previous versions.

    I have also added an image cache. This decreases server load, as if an
    image of the required dimensions already exists, it is sent, rather than
    redrawn. Hatters is drawn each time, which I believe everyone concluded
    is very server intensive.

    At the start of the image routine, theres a code block to delete all
    cached images on the first of each month - this can be modified
    appropriately. This will - obviously - conserve server space.

    Another benefit over hatters code, is that mine is contained. Hatters
    image routine is like spilling water on the floor, it fills the entire
    page width not matter what. Mine is like pouring it into a glass - this
    "glass"[image] can than be positioned anywhere and doesnt take up the
    whole screen.

    At the end I also destroy the image to free up server resources.
    Something I dont believe was done in previous versions.

    Limitations:
    ------------

    -Requires JS to be enabled. Default setups shouldnt have a problem
    with this. Use of the <noscript> tag can be included as an advisory.

    -Its alot of code for one thing, if you have alot of images this will
    *NOT* be suitable. Id say 3-5 max. Prolly best suited to title images.

    Known Bugs:
    -----------

    - Firefox, when resized to very small dimensions, puts the refresh into
    a loop, this isnt so much of a problem as the image matches the server
    cache image so is not redrawn, further it should then be loaded from the
    client cache. However, it is an annoyance. Any input on this would be
    greatfully appreciated.

    If you wish to test it, you'll have to create the directory
    "image-cache", and replace any localhost entries as required.

    Tested in Firefox,MSIE,NS and Opera on Apache under WinXPp and Linux

    oh, and its all 100% Valid Code ;)

    In Conclusion:
    --------------

    Given the extent of the code required to utilise the resize, it really
    isnt suitable for anything other than say a title image or if youre
    hosting a site like hotornot where the primary content is a single image.

    Unless Im making a nice css minimalist site with very few images, I wont
    be using this.

    --
    Mimic

    "I can speak to anyone in the world, I can get any information I want, I
    can goto new zealand in 0.384 seconds, why would I want to go outside?"
    ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== ( www.hidemyemail.net )

    Mimic, Jul 13, 2005

  2. Mimic

    nyarltep Guest

    Mimic <> wrote in news::

    > Let me start by saying,

    wont load for me

    nyarltep, Jul 13, 2005

  3. Mimic

    Bitey Guest

    Mimic wrote this gem. Seriously... :

    > Code : http://alt2600.go.ro/
    > Test IMG: http://alt2600.go.ro/sara.png

    I just KNOW it would be wonderful if I could see it.
    Page Not Found
    --
    -=Bitey=- *Da2fy1 ChiX0r* vV''Vv
    Thus spaketh rafterboi, reminding us all, the

    Bitey, Jul 13, 2005
  4. Mimic

    Mimic Guest

    Mimic wrote:

    Everyone over this side of the world can see it fine...

    Mimic, Jul 13, 2005
  5. Mimic

    Mimic Guest

    Bitey wrote:

    > Mimic wrote this gem. Seriously... :
    >

    >>Code : http://alt2600.go.ro/
    >>Test IMG: http://alt2600.go.ro/sara.png

    > I just KNOW it would be wonderful if I could see it.
    > Page Not Found

    Try a proxy, Im having no problems over this side.

    Mimic, Jul 13, 2005
  6. ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.php.]
    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:30:52 +0100, Mimic wrote:
    > Bitey wrote:
    >> Mimic wrote this gem. Seriously... :

    >>>Code : http://alt2600.go.ro/
    >>>Test IMG: http://alt2600.go.ro/sara.png

    >> I just KNOW it would be wonderful if I could see it.
    >> Page Not Found

    > Try a proxy, Im having no problems over this side.

    $ ping alt2600.go.ro
    PING alt2600.go.ro (81.196.20.134) 56(84) bytes of data.

    --- alt2600.go.ro ping statistics ---
    10 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 8998ms

    $ ping www.alt2600.go.ro
    PING www.alt2600.go.ro (81.196.20.134) 56(84) bytes of data.

    --- www.alt2600.go.ro ping statistics ---
    9 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 8010ms

    ... which may not be A Bad Thing.

    Cross-posting trimmed.

    Allodoxaphobia, Jul 13, 2005
  7. Mimic

    Bitey Guest

    Mimic wrote this gem. Seriously... :

    > Bitey wrote:
    >
    >> Mimic wrote this gem. Seriously... :
    >>

    >>>Code : http://alt2600.go.ro/
    >>>Test IMG: http://alt2600.go.ro/sara.png

    >> I just KNOW it would be wonderful if I could see it. Page Not Found

    > Try a proxy, Im having no problems over this side.

    Okay, I played your little game. Using a proxy, this is what I got:
    403 - Forbidden
    WebShield® appliance Logo
    WebShield® appliance webshield reports remote host not listening

    The remote host is not prepared to accept the connection request

    Host name: alt2600.go.ro

    Copyright © 1993-2004 Networks Associates Technology, Inc.
    All Rights Reserved.
    http://www.mcafeesecurity.com"

    Why not put it up at http://www.yousendit.com?

    Bitey, Jul 14, 2005
  8. Mimic

    Mimic Guest

    Bitey wrote:

    > Mimic wrote this gem. Seriously... :
    >

    >>Bitey wrote:

    >>>I just KNOW it would be wonderful if I could see it. Page Not Found

    >>Try a proxy, Im having no problems over this side.

    > Okay, I played your little game. Using a proxy, this is what I got:
    > 403 - Forbidden
    > WebShield® appliance Logo
    > WebShield® appliance webshield reports remote host not listening
    >
    > The remote host is not prepared to accept the connection request
    >
    > Host name: alt2600.go.ro
    >
    > Copyright © 1993-2004 Networks Associates Technology, Inc.
    > All Rights Reserved.
    > http://www.mcafeesecurity.com"
    >
    > Why not put it up at http://www.yousendit.com?

    Try now!! quick go. It works here, and in Indiana.
    I didnt work at work though, weird shit, ill move it later. But try
    now!!! [1930 GMT]

    Mimic, Jul 14, 2005