mycursor.cur

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Joe Mamma, Jun 8, 2005.

  1. Joe Mamma

    Joe Mamma Guest

    I mde a 16x16 bmp, renamed it to mycursor.cur:
    I am testing this:

    <head>
    </head>
    body{
    cursor: url(mycursor.cur)
    }

    cursor test

    it does not work, does it go in the <head>? do I have to upload the
    mycursor.cur for it to work? Right now it is in the same directory as the
    mycursor.htm file.
    Thanks for any help!

    Joe Mamma, Jun 8, 2005

  2. Joe Mamma wrote :

    > it does not work, does it go in the <head>?

    trust your instincts luke.

    i dont know what the ".cur" extension will be treated as by IE, but if
    the file is a BMP then leave it as such. I would probably make a .ico
    instead though

    --
    a beef jerky web site : http://www.choicebeefjerky.com.au
    not a beef jerky web site : http://mycoolfish.com/vote.cmks

    Disco Octopus, Jun 8, 2005

  3. Joe Mamma

    DU Guest

    Joe Mamma wrote:
    > I mde a 16x16 bmp, renamed it to mycursor.cur:
    > I am testing this:

    No doctype declaration.

    > <head>
    > </head>

    <title></title> missing.

    > body{
    > cursor: url(mycursor.cur)
    > }

    You must provide a default fallback cursor in case your custom one does
    not successfully loads. Eg
    body{
    cursor: url("mycursor.cur"), auto;
    }

    > cursor test
    >
    > it does not work, does it go in the <head>?

    Yes. A simple markup validation test would have reported this error.

    http://validator.w3.org/

    do I have to upload the
    > mycursor.cur for it to work? Right now it is in the same directory as the
    > mycursor.htm file.
    > Thanks for any help!

    DU
    --
    The site said to use Internet Explorer 5 or better... so I switched to
    Firefox 1.0.4 :)

    DU, Jun 8, 2005
  4. Joe Mamma wrote:
    > I mde a 16x16 bmp, renamed it to mycursor.cur:

    So now you have a bitmap file, with an incorrect extension. You would
    need to *convert* the bitmap to a cursor file, using an image editor.

    I'd guess that browsers would have the right to refuse to display it.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 8, 2005