    MyKobweb Programming Club will be holding another online programming tournament for October 2011 finals. Our club is a non-profit organization thus participating in our programming tournament is voluntary in every respect. For more information please visit http://mykobweb.weebly.com/

    We encourage Advanced Java programmers to participate, however the MyKobwebprogramming tournament is open to all type of programmers.

    Admission Requirements:50% and above for any Java programming language course.

    Kesh Kissoon, Aug 10, 2011

  2. Kesh Kissoon

    Lew Guest

    Hagrid wrote:
    > Dear Java Programmers
    >
    > MyKobweb Programming Club will be holding another online programming tournament for October 2011 finals. Our club is a non-profit organization thus participating in our programming tournament is voluntary in every respect. For more information please visit http://mykobweb.weebly.com/
    >
    > We encourage Advanced Java programmers to participate, however the MyKobweb programming tournament is open to all type of programmers.
    >
    > Admission Requirements:50% and above for any Java programming language course.

    I just gave myself a programming language course and passing was dependent on one question:

    1. Java is a ___________ language.

    I got 100%!

    Can I play now?

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Aug 10, 2011

  3. Kesh Kissoon

    Kesh Kissoon Guest

    Dear Lew

    Please visit http://mykobweb.weebly.com/index.html for more information
    Note however that admission requirements are:60% and above which means you do meet the requirements however you must register for at MyKobweb for confirmation and quality purposes. No fees are required.

    Thank you for your time.

    Kesh Kissoon, Aug 20, 2011
  4. Kesh Kissoon

    Lew Guest

    Hagrid wrote:
    > Please visit http://mykobweb.weebly.com/index.html for more information
    > Note however that admission requirements are:60% and above which means you do meet the requirements however you must register for at MyKobweb for confirmation and quality purposes. No fees are required.
    >
    > Thank you for your time.

    Thank you. I got pwned there. Your response gave me great pleasure, and Iadmire its subtlety.

    Your avowed purpose to raise the skill level of Java programmers in a fun way is honorable.
    \0
    Less pleasurable are the various grammatical errors on your site and the contest and ancillary documentation. I know that has little or nothing to dowith Java, but you should have someone competent in grammar proofread yourmaterial to help the appearance of professionalism.

    You are asking participants to put their code in a 'bluej.pkg' package. That does not follow the Java standard conventions.

    Are you affiliated with BlueJ <http://www.bluej.org/>? If not, you should avoid giving the appearance that you are. If so, the package should be 'org.bluej.somethingspecifictoyourcontest.*'.

    I like that, for the "Stationery" question at least, the project specification is as imprecise as one would expect in the real world. From the instructions I infer that you expect entrants to request clarification to resolvethe ambiguities just as one would for real.

    I suggest that you not specify variable names for the solution. For example, 'stationInfo' isn't really an ideal name for its purpose. You could factor in the self-documenting nature of variable names in the grading.

    "Java programmers may not make use of third-party pre-built in [sic] methods or import such as StringTokenizer."

    WTF?

    I stop there. That's just ... Okay, I won't say it, but really, "third-party"? And even setting that aside, a good programmer makes use of the API. Besides, the same document also says, "No supplementary materials may be used apart from the Java API." So which is it - you may use the API or you may not? Make up your frigging mind!

    In any event, that restriction against 'java.util.StringTokenizer' invalidates the entire contest as a means to teach good Java programming.

    Buh-bye.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Aug 20, 2011