MySQL Connectivity

Gaz Oakley

Hi,

I've looked through the mailing list archives trying to find the best ways
of connecting to a MySQL database using Python. From what I've seen, people
seem to be using http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python/. First of
all, is this the recommended method of connectivity? (I'm assuming it is).

If it is, I've experienced a problem here. I'd ideally like to have Python
2.3 installed with MySQLdb. Following the instructions on
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=948054&forum_id=70461 I
tried to build an RPM that would work with Python 2.3. It appears to be
using rpm -ba to build. I can fix that, but it would indicate that the build
script is somewhat out of date (rpmbuild has been around for a long time
now). Are there any newer RPM's for this anywhere or any newer build
scripts? Is the testing version relatively stable? (although I havent
checked this is fixing the build problem yet)

Thanks,

Gareth Oakley

Steve Holden

Gaz said:
[...]

If all you want is to *install* the software, why not just run "python
setup.py install" instead of trying to create an RPM then install that?

regards
Steve