MySQL Connectivity

Discussion in 'Python' started by Gaz Oakley, Apr 28, 2004.

  1. Gaz Oakley

    Gaz Oakley Guest

    Hi,

    I've looked through the mailing list archives trying to find the best ways
    of connecting to a MySQL database using Python. From what I've seen, people
    seem to be using http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python/. First of
    all, is this the recommended method of connectivity? (I'm assuming it is).

    If it is, I've experienced a problem here. I'd ideally like to have Python
    2.3 installed with MySQLdb. Following the instructions on
    http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=948054&forum_id=70461 I
    tried to build an RPM that would work with Python 2.3. It appears to be
    using rpm -ba to build. I can fix that, but it would indicate that the build
    script is somewhat out of date (rpmbuild has been around for a long time
    now). Are there any newer RPM's for this anywhere or any newer build
    scripts? Is the testing version relatively stable? (although I havent
    checked this is fixing the build problem yet)

    Thanks,

    Gareth Oakley

    Gaz Oakley, Apr 28, 2004

  2. Gaz Oakley

    Steve Holden Guest

    Gaz Oakley wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've looked through the mailing list archives trying to find the best ways
    > of connecting to a MySQL database using Python. From what I've seen, people
    > seem to be using http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python/. First of
    > all, is this the recommended method of connectivity? (I'm assuming it is).
    >
    > If it is, I've experienced a problem here. I'd ideally like to have Python
    > 2.3 installed with MySQLdb. Following the instructions on
    > http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=948054&forum_id=70461 I
    > tried to build an RPM that would work with Python 2.3. It appears to be
    > using rpm -ba to build. I can fix that, but it would indicate that the build
    > script is somewhat out of date (rpmbuild has been around for a long time
    > now). Are there any newer RPM's for this anywhere or any newer build
    > scripts? Is the testing version relatively stable? (although I havent
    > checked this is fixing the build problem yet)

    If all you want is to *install* the software, why not just run "python
    setup.py install" instead of trying to create an RPM then install that?

    regards
    Steve

    Steve Holden, Apr 28, 2004