MySQL - "create table" creates malfunctioning tables

Discussion in 'Python' started by F.R., Jan 25, 2013.

  1. F.R.

    F.R. Guest

    The other day, for unfathomable reasons, I lost control over tables
    which I create. There was no concurrent change of anything on the
    machine, such as an update. So I have no suspect. Does the following
    action log suggest any recommendation to experienced SQL programmers?

    1. A table:

    mysql> select * from expenses;
    +----+------------+-------+----------+--------+-------------+-------+
    | id | date | place | stuff | amount | category | flags |
    +----+------------+-------+----------+--------+-------------+-------+
    | 38 | 2013-01-15 | ATT | Sim card | 25.00 | Visa credit | |
    +----+------------+-------+----------+--------+-------------+-------+
    1 row in set (0.00 sec)

    2. I want to delete everything:

    mysql> delete from expenses;

    3. Nothing happens for about one minute. Then this:

    ERROR 1205 (HY000): Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction
    mysql>

    4. I want to delete the table:

    mysql> drop table expenses;

    5. Nothing happens indefinitely. I have to hit Ctrl-C

    ^CCtrl-C -- sending "KILL QUERY 167" to server ...
    Ctrl-C -- query aborted.
    ERROR 1317 (70100): Query execution was interrupted
    mysql>

    6. I expect to find "expenses.frm", "expenses.MYD" and "expenses.MYI".

    I find only the format file:

    root@hatchbox-one:/home/fr# find / -name 'expenses.*' -ls
    1055950 12 -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 8783 Jan 25 01:51
    /var/lib/mysql/fr/expenses.frm
    root@hatchbox-one:/home/fr#

    7. All the tables I regularly work with have a "frm", a "MYD" and a
    "MYI" file in the directory "/var/lib/mysql/fr/".

    8. I'd like to drop the table "expenses", plus a number of other tables
    I created, hoping to hit it right by chance. I didn't and now I have a
    bunch of unusable tables which I can't drop and I don't know where their
    files are hiding. If I did, I could remove them.

    Grateful for any hint, comment, suggestion

    Frederic

    Dell E6500
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    Python 2.7.3 (default, Aug 1 2012, 05:16:07) \n[GCC 4.6.3
    MySQL (Can't find a version number)
    Server version: 5.5.28-0ubuntu0.12.04.3 (Ubuntu)

    F.R., Jan 25, 2013