    would be great.

    Thanks,

    Paul

    PB0711, Mar 25, 2008

  2. http://tel.jklm.no/2008/3/25/using-active-record-outside-rails

    1.

    [sudo] gem install activerecord

    2.
    require 'active_record'

    class County < ActiveRecord::Base
    establish_connection :adapter => 'mysql',
    :database => 'db',
    :host => 'localhost',
    :username => 'user',
    :password => 'pass'
    end

    3.
    irb(main):092:0> County.find:)all,
    :limit => 5,
    :eek:rder => 'name').map{|place| place.name}
    => ["Akershus", "Aust-Agder", "Buskerud", "Finnmark", "Hedmark"]

    regards,
    Tor Erik

    Tor erik Linnerud, Mar 25, 2008

  3. PB0711

    PB0711 Guest

    Tor,

    It didn't seem to work? I tried require active_record and it
    "failed to find" it??? I'm using jruby/jirb but I tried with ruby/irb
    as well and I got the same thing.

    >sudo jruby -S gem install activerecord

    root's password:
    JRuby limited openssl loaded. gem install jruby-openssl for full
    support.
    http://wiki.jruby.org/wiki/JRuby_Builtin_OpenSSL
    Updating metadata for 17 gems from http://gems.rubyforge.org
    complete
    Successfully installed activerecord-2.0.2
    1 gem installed
    Installing ri documentation for activerecord-2.0.2...
    Installing RDoc documentation for activerecord-2.0.2...
    >jirb

    irb(main):003:0> require 'active_record'
    LoadError: no such file to load -- active_record
    from (irb):4:in `require'
    from (irb):4:in `signal_status'

    scripts/ruby # gem install activerecord
    Need to update 16 gems from http://gems.rubyforge.org
    complete
    Install required dependency activesupport? [Yn] Y
    Successfully installed activerecord-2.0.2
    Successfully installed activesupport-2.0.2
    Installing ri documentation for activerecord-2.0.2...
    Installing ri documentation for activesupport-2.0.2...
    Installing RDoc documentation for activerecord-2.0.2...
    Installing RDoc documentation for activesupport-2.0.2...
    >irb

    irb(main):002:0> require 'active_record'
    LoadError: no such file to load -- active_record
    from (irb):2:in `require'
    from (irb):2

    PB0711, Mar 26, 2008
  4. PB0711

    Jeff Miller Guest

    This is what I do to interact with my MySQL database w/o rails: First
    install the mysql gem (c:/> gem install mysql)

    require 'mysql'
    db = Mysql.connect("localhost", "username", "password", "database_name")
    @mysql_query = db.query("YOUR SQL STATEMENT")

    #~ to iterate over results:
    while row = @mysql_query.fetch_row do
    @field1 = row[0]
    @field2 = row[1]
    #~ etc...

    db.close

    I think you have to have an ODBC connection set up, though. You can get
    it from MySQL's website.

    Good luck,
    - Jeff Miller

    Jeff Miller, Mar 26, 2008

  5. > It didn't seem to work? I tried require active_record and it
    > "failed to find" it??? I'm using jruby/jirb but I tried with ruby/irb
    > as well and I got the same thing.

    require 'rubygems' before you require 'active_record'

    This is not neccesary if you are using the latest version of Ruby (1.8.6
    something..)

    regards,
    Tor Erik

    Tor erik Linnerud, Mar 26, 2008