mysql gem: better native extension error than this?

Tony Arcieri

uninitialized constant MysqlCompat::MysqlRes

...surely the error can be better than this. The meaning of this error is
"the native extension failed to load", however the error does not convey
this whatsoever. Can't this be:

NativeExtensionError: couldn't load libmysqlclient.so

Or something slightly more informative?

Luis Lavena

[Note:  parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

uninitialized constant MysqlCompat::MysqlRes

..surely the error can be better than this.  The meaning of this error is
"the native extension failed to load", however the error does not convey
this whatsoever.  Can't this be:

NativeExtensionError: couldn't load libmysqlclient.so

Or something slightly more informative?

When are you getting this?

A sample script that can reproduce it? Or is a Rails application?

Definitely things could be better, also world peace can be achieved if
humans weren't so greedy and help each other instead.

The repository used to build the gem is here:

http://github.com/luislavena/mysql-gem

Feel free to fork it, adjust what is needed and ensure tests works
prior sending a pull request.

Regards,

Luis Lavena

[Note:  parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

When are you getting this?

Installing the mysql gem, under Snow Leopard unless ARCHFLAGS=-arch x86_64
is set.

The offending code is here:

http://github.com/luislavena/mysql-gem/blob/master/ext/mysql_api/extconf.rb#L1-8

Since I haven't upgraded my Leopard installation to Slow Leopard, I
cannot test all these details.

I've that *cough* feature *cough* from DataObjects, which got removed
after SL release.

Since I don't have a spare Mac for work, couldn't afford the time will
take to rebuild my whole environment due the craziness of mixed 64/32
bits applications and libraries.

If you take a look to current DataObjects, maybe you can bring these
changes in:

http://github.com/datamapper/do/blob/master/do_mysql/ext/do_mysql/extconf.rb