mysql gem: version specification and update problem

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Stephen Bannasch, Dec 11, 2007.

  1. The mysql gem has unfortunate interaction between gem versions,
    platforms, and updating on macosx. I'm trying to figure out if it is
    a problem with rubygems or the specification for the mysql gem itself.

    The latest version of the mysql gem for the mac is v2.7 while the
    latest version is 2.7.3.

    $ gem list mysql -r

    *** REMOTE GEMS ***

    mysql (2.7.3, 2.7.1, 2.7, 2.6, 2.5.1)
    mysql_replication_adapter (0.4.0, 0.2.0, 0.1.1, 0.1.0)
    mysql_retry_lost_connection (0.0.1)

    After I install the mysql gem on my mac any future use of the command:

    sudo gem update

    assumes the mysql gem is not up-to-date and tries to re-install it.

    Previously I would just be presented with a console request asking if
    I wanted to update the mysql gem -- there was actually no update for
    the mac and I would just answer no.

    Now because dependencies are automatically followed it is always
    getting rebuilt.

    This would just be a waste of bandwidth and processing except that
    successfully compiling the mysql gem on macosx requires setting an
    env variable ... so everytime I update all my gems the mysql gem
    rebuild of it's native libraries fails.

    I'm finding this problem on: MacOS X 10.4.11, ruby 1.8.6p11, rubygems v0.9.5

    Is this a bug in rubygems or in how the mysql gem is specified?

    ---- example ----

    $ sudo gem uninstall mysql
    Successfully uninstalled mysql-2.7

    $ sudo gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql
    Successfully installed mysql-2.7
    1 gem installed

    $ gem outdated

    $ sudo gem update
    Updating installed gems...
    Attempting remote update of mysql
    ERROR: Error installing mysql:

    /usr/local/bin/ruby extconf.rb update
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
    checking for main() in -lm... yes
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
    checking for main() in -lz... yes
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
    checking for main() in -lsocket... no
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
    checking for main() in -lnsl... no
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no

    Gem files will remain installed in
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7 for inspection.
    Results logged to /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/gem_make.out
    Gems: [mysql] updated
    Stephen Bannasch, Dec 11, 2007

  2. Stephen Bannasch

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Dec 11, 2007, at 07:45 AM, Stephen Bannasch wrote:
    > The mysql gem has unfortunate interaction between gem versions,
    > platforms, and updating on macosx. I'm trying to figure out if it is
    > a problem with rubygems or the specification for the mysql gem itself.

    The correct place to report a bug on RubyGems is on the tracker.
    Eric Hodel, Dec 11, 2007

  3. >On Dec 11, 2007, at 07:45 AM, Stephen Bannasch wrote:
    >>The mysql gem has unfortunate interaction between gem versions, platforms, and updating on macosx. I'm trying to figure out if it is a problem with rubygems or the specification for the mysql gem itself.

    >The correct place to report a bug on RubyGems is on the tracker.

    Thanks for responding Eric,

    I didn't know if it was a problem in rubygems or in the gem specification for the mysql gem. You didn't explicitly answer that question but I'll assume you think it's likely a bug in rubgems.

    Here's a link to the bug report in the rubyforge tracker for rubygems.

    http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=16244&group_id=126&atid=575
    Stephen Bannasch, Dec 11, 2007