    Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some simple
    code?

    Thanks.
    Dom, Sep 3, 2004

  2. Dom wrote:

    > How easy is it to create a WAP page that can access a Mysql database?
    > I have read various tutorials but keep getting error messages or parts
    > of the code when I try to use them in the WAP simulator.
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some simple
    > code?

    Hi Dom,

    I think that you're posting your problem in the wrong newsgroup.
    This is about XML, XSLT and related stuff and has nothing to do
    with mysql, PHP or WML (ok, maybe a little bit WML ;-).

    Have a look at this page: http://www.zend.com/zend/tut/wap.php

    If it doesn't help try using a search engine of your choice
    (e.g. http://www.google.com) and look for the keywords PHP and
    WML.

    HTH,
    Gerald
    Gerald Aichholzer, Sep 3, 2004

  3. Dom

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 3 Sep 2004 10:23:01 -0700, (Dom) wrote:

    >How easy is it to create a WAP page that can access a Mysql database?

    WAP / WML can't access MySQL directly.

    What you need is a PHP page (or some other scripting platform). This
    can access MySQL by a well-trodden route and it then generates some
    content, however you want it. Most examples you see will be for HTML,
    but generating WML can be very similar.

    You _will_ need to learn to read and write WML manually, with some
    level of accuracy. There's no Frontpage or Dreamweaver to help you
    here.

    WML is an XML dialect and HTML isn't. So while HTML is usually
    generated by a bunch of print statements, you might find it useful to
    generate WML by using an XML DOM, then writing all of its contents in
    one go. Without knowing exactly what you're doing, it's hard to say
    which is better for you.

    WML and especially WAP are obsolete. Most phone work nowadays is done
    with XHTML-MP instead. As a first approximation, WAP/WML is just so
    rubbish that you can't do anything useful with it. Anything complex
    enough to be interesting needs the extra features of XHTML instead.
    WML basically sucks dead bunnies.

    Another authoring platform, if you're dealing with Vodafone Live!, is
    PartnerML. This is an imtermediate format that the network stack turns
    into either WML or XHTML, depending on the type of handset.

    >I have read various tutorials but keep getting error messages or parts
    >of the code when I try to use them in the WAP simulator.

    Don't debug page generation code with WAP emulators - that's a
    _really_ hard way to work. You'll never be sure if your WML is bogus,
    or if your PHP is mis-generating it.

    Split the problem into two steps, which you'll switch between
    regularly. Write WML pages as static files using an editor. Debug
    these with the WAP emulator and fix the WML coding glitches.

    Write your PHP separately, and store its output as files (you might be
    able to view it with IE, connected directly to your server). Debug
    this by eyeballing the stored WML in comparison with the hand-authored
    WML you've already debugged.

    Last time I wrote any PartnerML, the OpenWave emulator we were using
    was such rubbish (unreliable and inaccurate) that I wrote an
    XSLT-based PartnerML ->HTML translator and used that from with a copy
    of IE. An uphill fight, but it was better than Openwave.

    --
    Smert' spamionam
    Andy Dingley, Sep 4, 2004