mysql-ruby or ruby-mysql?

Randy Lawrence

We're currently using:

Apache 2.0.46
mod_ruby 1.20
Ruby 1.8.x (stable snapshot)
Mysql 4.0.20

Do you recommend mysql-ruby or ruby-mysql? And what version would be
most reliable given our setup?

Based on the history log of mysql-ruby, we're not sure if it is
compatible with Mysql 4.0 because it mentions 4.1.

Thanks!

Andreas Schwarz

Randy said:
We're currently using:

Apache 2.0.46
mod_ruby 1.20
Ruby 1.8.x (stable snapshot)
Mysql 4.0.20

Do you recommend mysql-ruby or ruby-mysql? And what version would be
most reliable given our setup?

Take mysql-ruby. It uses the "official" mysql client library, so there
is less room for errors and it is probably A LOT faster than the pure
ruby implementation (ruby-mysql). I never had any problems with it.
Based on the history log of mysql-ruby, we're not sure if it is
compatible with Mysql 4.0 because it mentions 4.1.

It is.

Paul Vudmaska

Andreas said:
Take mysql-ruby. It uses the "official" mysql client library, so there
is less room for errors and it is probably A LOT faster than the pure
ruby implementation (ruby-mysql). I never had any problems with it.

It is.
I'm using the same versions as you - and RedHat 9.2. I had problems with
mysql-ruby - as did an experienced linux admin.compatible with Mysql 4.0 because it mentions 4.1.
I'd say - probably.

If you are using RedHat and have success please post again.

Randy Lawrence

Paul said:
I'm using the same versions as you - and RedHat 9.2. I had problems with
mysql-ruby - as did an experienced linux admin.
compatible with Mysql 4.0 because it mentions 4.1.
I'd say - probably.

If you are using RedHat and have success please post again.

I just got this working. Haven't had time to test extensively but
simple mysql queries are working fine, no problems detected yet.

Redhat Advanced Server 3.0 (kernel 2.4.20)
Apache 2.0.46
Ruby 1.8.1 (stable snapshot 2004-05-10 [i686-linux])
Mysql 4.0.20 (compiled from source)
mysql-ruby 2.4.5
mod_ruby 1.20
eruby 1.05

Ran both .rbx (mod_ruby) and .rhtml (eruby) to display contents of a
single mysql table (innodb).

Performance was a LOT faster than I expected (my expectations were low).

If you can provide some more info about specific problems you've had,
I'll see if I can reproduce them here (if time allows).