mysql-ruby troubles

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Armin Preis, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. Armin Preis

    Armin Preis Guest

    Hi!

    When installing mysql-ruby-2.5.4 on Mandrake 9.2.

    ruby extconf.rb
    brings up the following messages:

    ----
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
    checking for main() in -lm... yes
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
    checking for main() in -lz... yes
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
    checking for main() in -lsocket... no
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
    checking for main() in -lnsl... yes
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
    ----

    and no makefile is created.

    Installed versions (RPM packages):
    Ruby-1.6.8
    Mysql-4.0.11a

    Can anyone tell me, what's the problem here and what I can do?
    Thanks a lot.

    Armin

    Armin Preis, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Armin Preis

    Guest

    Hi,

    At Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:40:03 +0900,
    Armin Preis wrote:
    > and no makefile is created.
    >
    > Installed versions (RPM packages):
    > Ruby-1.6.8
    > Mysql-4.0.11a

    Does that Mysql package contain headers and libraries? Aren't
    they separated into devel package?

    --
    Nobu Nakada

    , Jan 18, 2004

  3. Armin Preis

    Armin Preis Guest

    wrote:
    > [...]
    >
    > Does that Mysql package contain headers and libraries? Aren't
    > they separated into devel package?

    Mysql is seperated into the following RPM packages on my system:

    MySQL-4.0.11a-5mdk.rmp
    MySQL-bench_4.0.11a-5mkd.rpm
    MySQL-client4.0.11a-5mdk.rpm
    MySQL-common-4.0.11a-5mdk.rpm

    I'm rather new to linux, so can you give me any hints what to do?

    Armin

    Armin Preis, Jan 18, 2004
  4. Armin Preis

    Andre Nathan Guest

    Armin Preis said:
    > MySQL-4.0.11a-5mdk.rmp
    > MySQL-bench_4.0.11a-5mkd.rpm
    > MySQL-client4.0.11a-5mdk.rpm
    > MySQL-common-4.0.11a-5mdk.rpm

    You'll probably need the `libmysql-devel' package.

    Andre

    Andre Nathan, Jan 19, 2004
  5. Armin Preis

    Guest

    Hi,

    At Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:15:03 +0900,
    Armin Preis wrote:
    > > Does that Mysql package contain headers and libraries? Aren't
    > > they separated into devel package?
    > >

    > Mysql is seperated into the following RPM packages on my system:
    >
    > MySQL-4.0.11a-5mdk.rmp
    > MySQL-bench_4.0.11a-5mkd.rpm
    > MySQL-client4.0.11a-5mdk.rpm
    > MySQL-common-4.0.11a-5mdk.rpm
    >
    > I'm rather new to linux, so can you give me any hints what to do?

    I guess what you need may be MySQL-devel-4.0.11a-5mdk.rpm or
    similar.

    Check:

    $ rpm -ql MySQL MySQL-client MySQL-common | grep -e '\.h$' -e '\.so$'

    --
    Nobu Nakada

    , Jan 19, 2004
  6. Armin Preis

    Armin Preis Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > At Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:15:03 +0900,
    > Armin Preis wrote:
    >
    >>>Does that Mysql package contain headers and libraries? Aren't
    >>>they separated into devel package?
    >>>

    >>Mysql is seperated into the following RPM packages on my system:
    >>
    >>MySQL-4.0.11a-5mdk.rmp
    >>MySQL-bench_4.0.11a-5mkd.rpm
    >>MySQL-client4.0.11a-5mdk.rpm
    >>MySQL-common-4.0.11a-5mdk.rpm
    >>
    >>I'm rather new to linux, so can you give me any hints what to do?

    > I guess what you need may be MySQL-devel-4.0.11a-5mdk.rpm or
    > similar.
    >
    > Check:
    >
    > $ rpm -ql MySQL MySQL-client MySQL-common | grep -e '\.h$' -e '\.so$'

    $ rpm -ql MySQL MySQL-client MySQL-common | grep -e '\.h$' -e '\.so$'

    This returns nothing.

    But MySQL-4.0.11a-5mdk.rmp contains the mysql devel.
    And mysql itself is working fine.

    Armin Preis, Jan 19, 2004
  7. Armin Preis

    Guest

    Hi,

    At Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:25:02 +0900,
    Armin Preis wrote:
    > $ rpm -ql MySQL MySQL-client MySQL-common | grep -e '\.h$' -e '\.so$'
    >
    > This returns nothing.

    Then, you haven't installed packages for development with
    MySQL. See Andre's [ruby-talk:90145].

    --
    Nobu Nakada

    , Jan 19, 2004