    Why is it that the guy who comes up behind you while you're waiting for
    an elevator presses the already lit button as though he has some magical
    powers that you don't?
    Ed Mullen, Mar 10, 2008

  2. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > I have a local install of WAMP and MySQL and PHP, which are also
    > available on my online Web host. I'm looking for some basic beginner
    > tutorials on using MySQL.
    >
    > I maintain two databases in Excel of names, addresses, etc. That would
    > be my primary use and I'm trying to figure out what advantages I might
    > accrue by diving into using MySQL to maintain the online versions
    >
    > I currently know next to nothing about MySQL.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Buy a book. I recommend MySQL 2nd Edition by Larry Ullman.
    http://tinyurl.com/2ymkxa

    --
    Justin Miller
    http://welcometoubuntu.blogspot.com
    Justin E. Miller, Mar 10, 2008

  3. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Ed Mullen <>
    writing in news::

    > I have a local install of WAMP and MySQL and PHP, which are also
    > available on my online Web host. I'm looking for some basic beginner
    > tutorials on using MySQL.
    >
    > I maintain two databases in Excel of names, addresses, etc. That
    > would be my primary use and I'm trying to figure out what advantages I
    > might accrue by diving into using MySQL to maintain the online
    > versions

    The whole point here is to use the right tool for the job. Excel is for
    spreadsheets, and can be used as a flat database.

    MySQL, Access, etc are _relational_ databases. Say you have this
    configuration: Table 1
    Name Zipcode CityID
    Bob 91205 1
    Larry 91206 1
    Helen 91205 1
    Joan 90028 2

    Table 2
    ID CityName CountyID
    1 Glendale 1
    2 Hollywood 1
    3 Burbank 1

    Table 3
    ID CountyName
    1 Los Angeles
    2 Orange

    The relationship is the CityID key in Table 1 to the ID key in Table 2,
    and the CountyID key in Table 2 to ID key in Table 3. Relational
    databases can be very powerful.

    > I currently know next to nothing about MySQL.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    I suggest you import your Excel sheets into Access, and make (save) some
    queries. Then open those queries in SQL mode to see how it works. Once
    you have familiarized yourself with that, then you can make the move to
    a larger database manager like MySQL.

    IIRC, Access comes with a database called Northwind, and there are
    plenty of tutorials that use that db. The query language used by
    Access, MySQL, MS SQL, etc. is very similar.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 11, 2008
  4. Ed Mullen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Justin E. Miller wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> I have a local install of WAMP and MySQL and PHP, which are also
    >> available on my online Web host. I'm looking for some basic beginner
    >> tutorials on using MySQL.
    >>
    >> I maintain two databases in Excel of names, addresses, etc. That
    >> would be my primary use and I'm trying to figure out what advantages I
    >> might accrue by diving into using MySQL to maintain the online versions
    >>
    >> I currently know next to nothing about MySQL.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?
    >>

    > Buy a book. I recommend MySQL 2nd Edition by Larry Ullman.
    > http://tinyurl.com/2ymkxa

    I'll check it out. Thanks.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Mar 12, 2008
  5. Ed Mullen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Ed Mullen <>
    > writing in news::
    >
    >> I have a local install of WAMP and MySQL and PHP, which are also
    >> available on my online Web host. I'm looking for some basic beginner
    >> tutorials on using MySQL.
    >>
    >> I maintain two databases in Excel of names, addresses, etc. That
    >> would be my primary use and I'm trying to figure out what advantages I
    >> might accrue by diving into using MySQL to maintain the online
    >> versions

    > The whole point here is to use the right tool for the job. Excel is for
    > spreadsheets, and can be used as a flat database.
    >
    > MySQL, Access, etc are _relational_ databases. Say you have this
    > configuration: Table 1
    > Name Zipcode CityID
    > Bob 91205 1
    > Larry 91206 1
    > Helen 91205 1
    > Joan 90028 2
    >
    > Table 2
    > ID CityName CountyID
    > 1 Glendale 1
    > 2 Hollywood 1
    > 3 Burbank 1
    >
    > Table 3
    > ID CountyName
    > 1 Los Angeles
    > 2 Orange
    >
    > The relationship is the CityID key in Table 1 to the ID key in Table 2,
    > and the CountyID key in Table 2 to ID key in Table 3. Relational
    > databases can be very powerful.
    >
    >> I currently know next to nothing about MySQL.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?
    >>

    > I suggest you import your Excel sheets into Access, and make (save) some
    > queries. Then open those queries in SQL mode to see how it works. Once
    > you have familiarized yourself with that, then you can make the move to
    > a larger database manager like MySQL.
    >
    > IIRC, Access comes with a database called Northwind, and there are
    > plenty of tutorials that use that db. The query language used by
    > Access, MySQL, MS SQL, etc. is very similar.

    Ok, thanks for the clues.

    Ed Mullen, Mar 12, 2008