mySql vs. sql server in asp.net hoster

angel monson

I'll be developing a web app that will use a DB, and I noticed that most
asp.net hosters give you free access to a mySQL DB but you have to pay
additional for the SQL Server DB. Since I'll be developing it from scratch,
wouldn't it be more economical to just build the application using mySQL?
Basically, my question is: why pay more for sql server when I can build the
program with mySQL? Are there any other reasons why I would want to pay more
for sql server?

Thanks.

Bob Lehmann

SQL Server has more functionality and is more robust than mySQL.

Cheaper is not always better. You should determine your needs, proceed
accordingly and not base your decison soley on price.

Bob Lehmann

Alvin Bruney [Microsoft MVP]

mysql is tuned for web applications. you will get more performance out of
mysql for low concurrency than you will for sql. mysql doesn't support some
other stuff like stored procs etc. plus, you can't beat free. if what you
need is a back end to support a site that runs serious traffic, sql server
is a better choice.

--
Regards
Alvin Bruney

Lucas Tam

mysql is tuned for web applications. you will get more performance out
of mysql for low concurrency than you will for sql. mysql doesn't
support some other stuff like stored procs etc. plus, you can't beat
free. if what you need is a back end to support a site that runs
serious traffic, sql server is a better choice.

Yahoo Finance runs off MySQL - mySQL holds up well under traffic.

The only thing MySQL is lacking is:

1. A good GUI front-end (there are several 3rd party ones, but no decent
offical one).

2. Features likes Stored Procedures, SQL UDF, Triggers...

Otherwise, MySQL is pretty good.

Lucas Tam

Basically, my question is: why pay more for sql server when I can
build the program with mySQL?

MySQL currently lacks stored procedures... user defined functions... and a
couple of other "nice to have" features SQL server has.

Lucas Tam

Can you elaborate on that statement ?

SQL Server definately has more features than MySQL... but MySQL powers a
lot of enterprise applications as well. Yahoo Fianace runs off mySQL. There
is MySQL Cluster Server for 99.9999% fault tolerence.

If you need SPs in mySQL, you can use MySQL MaxDB which was originally a
modified version of mySQL built by SAP.

In anycase, MySQL is closing the gap on SQL server. If you need stored
procedures, they're available in MySQL 5.0 Beta (or MaxDB).