MySQLdb and MySQL 4.1 server :(

JZ

MySQLdb 1.0 cannot connect to MySQL 4.1 server when the user has non-empty
password :(

_mysql_exceptions.OperationalError: (1251, 'Client does not support
authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL
client')

Damjan

MySQLdb 1.0 cannot connect to MySQL 4.1 server when the user has non-empty
password :(

_mysql_exceptions.OperationalError: (1251, 'Client does not support
authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL
client')

Is your MySQLdb compiled/linked against MySQL 4.1 libraries?

Sion Arrowsmith

MySQLdb 1.0 cannot connect to MySQL 4.1 server when the user has non-empty
password :(

This is hardly surpising, as "MySQL-4.1 is not yet supported, and
probably won't be until MySQLdb-1.3 or 2.0." (from the README, which
also says "If you fail to read all of this document and ask questions
that are already answered, I reserve the right to verbally abuse you.")

That said, it *does* work if you build MySQLdb from source (it needs a
minor tweak to _mysql.c if you've got a really recent 4.1, and will
probably need some adjustment to setup.py). MySQL passwords changed
between 4.0 and 4.1.0 and again in 4.1.1 in rather incompatible ways,
so a client binary expecting 4.0 doesn't stand much chance with a 4.1
server.

Gabriel Cooper

JZ said:
MySQLdb 1.0 cannot connect to MySQL 4.1 server when the user has non-empty
password :(

_mysql_exceptions.OperationalError: (1251, 'Client does not support
authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL
client')
MySQL changed the way they do the PASSWORD() function. try resetting
your mysql users' passwords using OLD_PASSWORD() instead and it will
start working again. I just had this problem two days ago and found the
answer in a simple web search for the error... *(cough)"

Gabriel.