MySQLdb: execute query results...

Sheila King

I have searched for an answer to this question on the comp.lang.python
archives at Google Groups, and also looked through the (sparse) MySQLdb
documentation, and cannot confirm for a FACT what I think I know.

Looking for affirmation before I go "assuming" something and getting myself
into trouble somewhere along the line...

Here is what I *think* I know...let me know if I'm wrong, for crying out
loud!!!

If I do something like:

and then later do:

doesn't result always return the number of affected rows?

As a more concrete example:

I made the following table:

mysql> CREATE TABLE example(
-> name VARCHAR(14),
-> AGE INT,
-> COUNTRY VARCHAR(15));
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.03 sec)

And then in Python did the following INSERTS and UPDATE:
2L

Can I *RELY* on that "2L" result of the UPDATE statement under the cursor's
"execute" method representing the number of rows updated? Or am I assuming
too much?

Like I say, I looked through several sources, including my O'Reilly MySQL
book and cannot verify this for a fact from docs.

I did find this, however:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/UPDATE.html

"UPDATE returns the number of rows that were actually changed. In MySQL
Version 3.22 or later, the C API function mysql_info() returns the number
of rows that were matched and updated and the number of warnings that
occurred during the UPDATE. "

Which seems to corroborate, although they are not referring to the Python
DB-API specifically.

Thanks for any clarification on this matter,

Sheila King

Looked in site-packages/MySQLdb/cursors.py, and it seems you are
correct.

Help on method execute in module MySQLdb.cursors:

execute(self, query, args=None) unbound MySQLdb.cursors.BaseCursor
method
Execute a query.

[...]

Returns long integer rows affected, if any

HTH,

Thanks for the confirmation. I didn't look at the source code. :/

Much appreciated,