Mysterious code appears in web pages.

anothermark

Hi There:

All of a sudden the below javascript code appears on many of my web
pages. No one else sees it from their browser. I only see it in IE and
Netscape by looking at the source code. When I download the file to my
hard drive the code vanishes. It appears only when I look at it online
from my browsers. Any ideas?

<head>

<script language="JavaScript">
<!--

function SymError()
{
return true;
}

window.onerror = SymError;

var SymRealWinOpen = window.open;

function SymWinOpen(url, name, attributes)
{
return (new Object());
}

window.open = SymWinOpen;

//-->
</script>

</head>
marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">

<script language="JavaScript">
<!--

window.open = SymRealWinOpen;

//-->
</script>

McKirahan

anothermark said:
[...]

A Google search for "SymWinOpen" revealed:

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/php/2003-08/0051.html

with the following explanation:

"this crap ist inserted by the norton firewall 2003.
the SymWinOpen is there only if the ad blocker is turned on, the
SymError cannot be turned of w/o turning off the firewall".

*** Seek an ye shall find! ***