Mysterious malfunctioning menus with a new router!!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by John, Mar 3, 2006.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Today something weird happened:

    I bought myself a new wireless router for home, got it set up, and
    everything was great. Browsing, email, even Shareaza p2p.

    Until I tried to use the ASP.NET 2 menus on one of my apps (hosted
    remotely). The menu options just wouldn't work, the browser just sitting
    there waiting for a response for ever.

    Not all menu options though, only the ones requiring postback. Hyperlink
    menu items were fine.

    I tried it on a second PC at home, and it worked perfectly.. so it wasn't
    the server, or the router itself.

    I turned off the software firewall (Sygate) on my original PC, and again the
    problem was fixed! Studying the firewall logs, when a menu item was clicked
    the *router* sent an ICMP packet to my workstation, which the software
    firewall was set to ignore (my old router didn't do this!). Here are the
    details:

    Ethernet II (Packet Length: 70)
    Type: IP (0x0800)
    Internet Protocol
    Version: 4
    Header Length: 20 bytes
    Flags:
    .0.. = Don't fragment: Not set
    ..0. = More fragments: Not set
    Fragment offset:0
    Time to live: 155
    Protocol: 0x1 (ICMP - Internet Control Message Protocol)
    Header checksum: 0xde9a (Correct)
    Source: 192.168.1.1
    Destination: 192.168.1.2
    Internet Control Message Protocol
    Type: 3 (Destination Unreachable)
    Code: 4 (Fragmentation Required, but the Do Not Fragment flag is set)
    Data (32 bytes)

    Setting up a rule on the software firewall to allow the router to send ICMP
    packets fixed the problem, but why on earth should the router be initiating
    this with a workstation? The packet doesn't originate from outside, it's
    actually being generated by the router (source 192.168.1.1).

    Anyway, maybe my config is weird, but thought I'd tell you about it in case
    someone else experiences the same malfunction.

    John

    John, Mar 3, 2006