    can anyone comment?

    the doctype is transitional, the charset=iso-8859-1

    thanks
    Rigour, Nov 16, 2009

  2. Rigour

    dorayme Guest

    In article <hBlMm.33004$>,
    "Rigour" <> wrote:

    > I use "&mdash;" and "&ndash;" quite a bit for longer "dashes" or hyphens in
    > text.
    >
    > in firefox (3.53) and opera (9.10), they seem to show up as little
    > question-marks in diamonds; indicating a character that does not translate
    > into html ...?
    >
    > can anyone comment?
    >
    > the doctype is transitional, the charset=iso-8859-1

    URL? Your description does not gel with what I see in FF 3.5 or Opera 10
    and the doctype is likely irrelevant (but your description does not say
    which transitional doctype)

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Nov 17, 2009

  3. Rigour

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 16 Nov 2009, "Rigour" <> wrote:

    > HI ...
    >
    > I use "&mdash;" and "&ndash;" quite a bit for longer "dashes" or
    > hyphens in text.
    >
    > in firefox (3.53) and opera (9.10), they seem to show up as little
    > question-marks in diamonds; indicating a character that does not
    > translate into html ...?
    >
    > can anyone comment?
    >
    > the doctype is transitional, the charset=iso-8859-1

    Try a charset of utf-8.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    Neredbojias, Nov 17, 2009
  4. Neredbojias wrote:
    > On 16 Nov 2009, "Rigour"<> wrote:
    >
    >> HI ...
    >>
    >> I use "" quite a bit for longer "dashes" or
    >> hyphens in text.
    >>
    >> in firefox (3.53) and opera (9.10), they seem to show up as little
    >> question-marks in diamonds; indicating a character that does not
    >> translate into html ...?
    >>
    >> can anyone comment?
    >>
    >> the doctype is transitional, the charset=iso-8859-1

    > Try a charset of utf-8.

    &mdash; and &ndash; work just fine with charset iso-8859-1. There is
    something else at play. URL required.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 17, 2009
  5. Rigour

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 16 Nov 2009, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> On 16 Nov 2009, "Rigour"<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> HI ...
    >>>
    >>> I use "" quite a bit for longer "dashes" or
    >>> hyphens in text.
    >>>
    >>> in firefox (3.53) and opera (9.10), they seem to show up as little
    >>> question-marks in diamonds; indicating a character that does not
    >>> translate into html ...?
    >>>
    >>> can anyone comment?
    >>>
    >>> the doctype is transitional, the charset=iso-8859-1

    >> Try a charset of utf-8.
    >>

    > &mdash; and &ndash; work just fine with charset iso-8859-1. There is
    > something else at play. URL required.

    Yep, you're right. Perhaps it's something to do with the fonts and
    maybe what browsers have or substitute, etc.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    Neredbojias, Nov 17, 2009