n-dash & m-dash display in Opera, FF

Rigour

HI ...

I use "—" and "–" quite a bit for longer "dashes" or hyphens in
text.

in firefox (3.53) and opera (9.10), they seem to show up as little
question-marks in diamonds; indicating a character that does not translate
into html ...?

can anyone comment?

the doctype is transitional, the charset=iso-8859-1

thanks

dorayme

"Rigour said:
I use "—" and "–" quite a bit for longer "dashes" or hyphens in
text.

in firefox (3.53) and opera (9.10), they seem to show up as little
question-marks in diamonds; indicating a character that does not translate
into html ...?

can anyone comment?

the doctype is transitional, the charset=iso-8859-1

URL? Your description does not gel with what I see in FF 3.5 or Opera 10
and the doctype is likely irrelevant (but your description does not say
which transitional doctype)

Neredbojias

HI ...

I use "—" and "–" quite a bit for longer "dashes" or
hyphens in text.

in firefox (3.53) and opera (9.10), they seem to show up as little
question-marks in diamonds; indicating a character that does not
translate into html ...?

can anyone comment?

the doctype is transitional, the charset=iso-8859-1

Try a charset of utf-8.

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias said:
Try a charset of utf-8.

— and – work just fine with charset iso-8859-1. There is
something else at play. URL required.

Neredbojias

— and – work just fine with charset iso-8859-1. There is
something else at play. URL required.

Yep, you're right. Perhaps it's something to do with the fonts and
maybe what browsers have or substitute, etc.