n tier design help

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by J_ B, Oct 4, 2004.

  1. J_ B

    J_ B Guest

    I'm designing some .net extensions for an existing system. The existing
    system system has user configurable fields, basically most of the relevant
    the data is saved in a table with text fields f1 to f40. These fields are
    rendered with different names and as different types on the client by
    refernceing meta data for each field from other tables.

    Now if i am to make this data available via asp.net forms or a webservice or
    remoting i cannot decide how to split the tiers. The business logic funtions
    should be called using the field names as the user sees them not the actual
    db field names (easier for 3rd parties to then use),

    eg GetRecord("where name = fred") where as the actual db query would be

    GetRecord("where f1 = fred")

    Now should the conversion to actual db queries be done in the data access
    layer or should this be done in the business logic layer first then passed
    on to the data access layer?

    I'm thinking of using datasets then changing column names to represent the
    friendly names rather than actual db cols, good idea?

    cheers

    jb
    J_ B, Oct 4, 2004

  2. J_ B

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "J_ B" <> wrote in news:#:

    > Now should the conversion to actual db queries be done in the data
    > access layer or should this be done in the business logic layer first
    > then passed on to the data access layer?

    I think the conversion should be done on the data access layer. Your
    business log layer should still use the user column names - it'll be easier
    when you do your business rules.

    > I'm thinking of using datasets then changing column names to represent
    > the friendly names rather than actual db cols, good idea?

    You might want to avoid datasets... especially if you're returning a lot of
    rows. Datasets will gobble all available memory on your system.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Oct 4, 2004