n00b Help Setting up MSDE SQL Server

newgenre

running the setup it wants to provide "the SAPWD" switch. I assume it wants
me to run from command prompt. Does it mean "C:\setup.exe -SAPWD"? That
doesn't work.

Jim

Guest

Setup.exe /qb+ INSTANCENAME=VSDOTNET DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=1 SAPWD

=STRONGPASSWORD

This does not work in Windows 2003 and will give you an error so you need to
go open up Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\sql2ksp3 (or wherever you
chose to unzip it to) and navigate to \MSDE and open up the setup.ini file
with notepad or your favorite text editor.

Add the line

SAPWD=STRONGPASSWORD right underneath [Options]

Save this and then double click the Setup.exe program and the installation
process should go through.

rbradley

Just installed Sql2KDesktopSP3 and it did not require enclosing quotes for the password or the hyphen you have. This worked for me ...

..\setup.exe SAPWD=myPassword

evansarli1

Try:

setup.exe SAPWD=password