Name Started With Invalid Character?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Arpan, Sep 11, 2006.

  1. Arpan

    Arpan Guest

    I am working on Win2K Pro. Due to some problems in IIS5.0, I had to
    uninstall & re-install IIS. After re-installing IIS, when I try to run
    any ASPX page (all my ASPX pages reside in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ASPX
    folder) by typing the following URL in IE6.0

    http://myserver/ASPX/MyPage.aspx

    the following error gets generated:

    A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource
    "http://myserver/ASPX/MyPage.aspx, Line 1, Pos....

    <%@ Page Language="VB" Explicit="true" Strict="false" %>
    -^

    I guess it's pointing to the "%" character (just before "@").

    What's going wrong? How do I overcome this problem?

    I didn't encounter this error prior to uninstalling & re-installing IIS
    5.0.

    Thanks,

    Arpan

    Arpan, Sep 11, 2006

  2. Two ideas for you.

    1. Make sure your ASPX editor is saving the file in UTF-8.

    You don't mention whether you're using ASP.NET 1.1 or 2.0 but...

    2. Run, first, from whichever installation directory for .Net Framework version you're using

    {
    Drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
    or
    Drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
    }

    aspnet_regiis -u

    and then, immdiately after that, run

    aspnet_regiis -i

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 11, 2006

  3. Arpan

    Arpan Guest

    Juan....I did it in a bit different way. I opened a command prompt and
    navigated to

    C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

    & then ran these commands in this order from the command prompt:

    aspnet_regiis.exe -i

    aspnet_regiis.exe -e

    & finally restarted IIS.

    Nevertheless, thanks to you for your suggestion as well.

    Regards,

    Arpan

    Arpan, Sep 11, 2006
  4. Arpan

    Arpan Guest

    BTW, Juan, any idea what caused that error?

    Arpan

    Arpan, Sep 11, 2006
  5. Something you, or your system, did misconfigured ASP.NET's IIS registration.
    Reconfiguring it fixed it.

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 11, 2006