Name Started With Invalid Character?

Arpan

I am working on Win2K Pro. Due to some problems in IIS5.0, I had to
uninstall & re-install IIS. After re-installing IIS, when I try to run
any ASPX page (all my ASPX pages reside in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ASPX
folder) by typing the following URL in IE6.0

http://myserver/ASPX/MyPage.aspx

the following error gets generated:

A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource
"http://myserver/ASPX/MyPage.aspx, Line 1, Pos....

<%@ Page Language="VB" Explicit="true" Strict="false" %>
-^

I guess it's pointing to the "%" character (just before "@").

What's going wrong? How do I overcome this problem?

I didn't encounter this error prior to uninstalling & re-installing IIS
5.0.

Thanks,

Arpan

Juan T. Llibre

Two ideas for you.

1. Make sure your ASPX editor is saving the file in UTF-8.

You don't mention whether you're using ASP.NET 1.1 or 2.0 but...

2. Run, first, from whichever installation directory for .Net Framework version you're using

{
Drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
or
Drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
}

aspnet_regiis -u

and then, immdiately after that, run

aspnet_regiis -i

Arpan

Juan....I did it in a bit different way. I opened a command prompt and
navigated to

C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

& then ran these commands in this order from the command prompt:

aspnet_regiis.exe -i

aspnet_regiis.exe -e

& finally restarted IIS.

Nevertheless, thanks to you for your suggestion as well.

Regards,

Arpan

Juan T. Llibre

Something you, or your system, did misconfigured ASP.NET's IIS registration.
Reconfiguring it fixed it.

BTW, Juan, any idea what caused that error?

Arpan