Named sprintf parameters

Trans

I have a question and perhaps a bit of challenge for those with mad
parse skills: Has anyone ever considered named parameters for sprintf/
printf? It would be quite useful (to me at least) to be able to do:

"I am %(name)s." % { :name => "Tom" ]

Has anyone worked on something like this before? Is there anything
equivalent in the Perl world or other language? I realize we can use
numerals to identify the substitutions, but I feel the labels are much
more readable. Moreover, ultimately it would be interesting to see:

"I am %(name)s." % binding

Making use of the binding's local_variables.

The challenge, of course, is to override printf/sprintf to do this
(the binding part gets you extra ruby points ;-) Even more
challenging, augment the C code to handle it and submit it as a patch.

T.

ara howard

I have a question and perhaps a bit of challenge for those with mad
parse skills: Has anyone ever considered named parameters for sprintf/
printf? It would be quite useful (to me at least) to be able to do:

"I am %(name)s." % { :name => "Tom" ]

Has anyone worked on something like this before? Is there anything
equivalent in the Perl world or other language? I realize we can use
numerals to identify the substitutions, but I feel the labels are much
more readable. Moreover, ultimately it would be interesting to see:

"I am %(name)s." % binding

Making use of the binding's local_variables.

The challenge, of course, is to override printf/sprintf to do this
(the binding part gets you extra ruby points ;-) Even more
challenging, augment the C code to handle it and submit it as a patch.

T.

class String
module M
def % *args
newstuff
super
end
end
include M
end

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/

t3ch.dude

I have a question and perhaps a bit of challenge for those with mad
parse skills: Has anyone ever considered named parameters for sprintf/
printf? It would be quite useful (to me at least) to be able to do:

  "I am %(name)s." % { :name => "Tom" ]

Has anyone worked on something like this before? Is there anything
equivalent in the Perl world or other language? I realize we can use
numerals to identify the substitutions, but I feel the labels are much
more readable. Moreover, ultimately it would be interesting to see:

  "I am %(name)s." % binding

Making use of the binding's local_variables.

The challenge, of course, is to override printf/sprintf to do this
(the binding part gets you extra ruby points ;-)  Even more
challenging, augment the C code to handle it and submit it as a patch.

T.

That exact feature exists in that form in Python today...
http://docs.python.org/lib/typesseq-strings.html

-T3ch Dude

yermej

class String
module M
def % *args
newstuff
super
end
end
include M
end

Can you please explain this? It looks to me like it would allow you to
override a method, but still call the original without using alias.
However, when I try anything like that, it only calls the original
method. The method defined inside of M isn't called. Is that a 1.9
thing or am I misunderstanding what you meant?

Adam Shelly

However, when I try anything like that, it only calls the original
method. The method defined inside of M isn't called. ...

I also couldn't get Ara's example to work, so I resorted to monkeypatching.
(Yes, I know, I am Destroying Ruby..)

----------

p "I am %s." % "string"
p "I am %s." % ["array"]
p "I am %s." % { :name => "hash" }
begin
p "I am %(name)s." % { :name => "hash" }
rescue ArgumentError => err
p "caught #{err}"
end

puts "\nMonkeyPatching!\n\n"
class String
alias :eek:ld_percent :%
def % arg
arr = (arg.kind_of? Array) ? arg : [arg]
target = self.gsub(/%\((.+?)\)/){|m|
raise ArgumentError, "named parameters need hash" unless arg.kind_of? Hash
arr << arg[$1.to_sym]
"%#{arr.size}$"
}
target.old_percent arr
end
end

p "I am %s." % "string"
p "I am %s." % ["array"]
p "I am %s." % { :name => "hash" }
p "I am %(name)s." % { :name => "hash" }

p "I am %(name)s %(with)s %(what)s"%{:what => "multiple arguments",
:with => "including", :name=> 'hash'}
p "I am %(name)s %(with)s %1$p"%{:with => "containing", :name=> 'hash'}
p "I am %(name)s." % [:name, "array"]

-Adam

P.S. It actually looks like patching sprintf wouldn't be too hard, as
long as you disallowed mixing named arguments with any other type.

Rick DeNatale

Can you please explain this? It looks to me like it would allow you to
override a method, but still call the original without using alias.
However, when I try anything like that, it only calls the original
method. The method defined inside of M isn't called. Is that a 1.9
thing or am I misunderstanding what you meant?

No you are right. Including a module in a class effectively inserts
the module above the class in the inheritance chain rather than below,
a class can override methods in a module it includes, not the other
way around. I missed Ara's point as well.

Along these lines I was scratching my head the other night when I was
reading Russ Olsen's "Design Patterns in Ruby" and he was showing an
implementation of the Decorator pattern using modules as decorators, I
missed the subtlety that he was using Object#extend to include a
module above the singleton class of a particular object rather than
including it in a 'real' class. But I don't think that technique
applies here.

Gary Wright

I have a question and perhaps a bit of challenge for those with mad
parse skills: Has anyone ever considered named parameters for sprintf/
printf? It would be quite useful (to me at least) to be able to do:

"I am %(name)s." % { :name => "Tom" ]

Has anyone worked on something like this before? Is there anything
equivalent in the Perl world or other language?

I released a gem last year (http://jig.rubyforge.com) that defines
a data structure I nicknamed a Jig that enables this sort of thing
either by parsing a string to get the format or by explicit
construction:

j = Jig.new('I am ', :name)
j2 = Jig.parse('I am %{:name:}')

puts j % { :name => 'Tom'} # I am Tom
puts j2 % { :name => 'Alice'} # I am Alice

A Jig is a ordered sequence of objects and 'gaps'. Simple gaps are
identified as symbols during Jig construction but you can also define
gaps that process anything that is used to fill them:

capitalize = Jig::Gap.new:)name) { |x| x.capitalize }
j2 = Jig.new('before: ', :name, ' after: ', capitalize)
puts j2 % {:name => 'bob' } # 'before: bob after: Bob'

In that example you can see that all gaps with the same name
are plugged simultaneously. Unplugged gaps are rendered as
the empty string when Jig#to_s is called.

You can also construct a Jig or fill a gap with a proc/lambda/method
which will be evaluated at the time the Jig is rendered to a string:

time = Jig.new("The time is ") {Time.now}
puts time # The time is Thu Feb 28 18:16:07 -0500 2008
sleep 5
puts time # The time is Thu Feb 28 18:16:12 -0500 2008

The gem has classes for handling XML, XHTML, and CSS constructs.

I've made a few changes since the initialize release but haven't
gotten around to pushing it a new release to Rubyforge yet....

Gary Wright

http://jig.rubyforge.com

ara howard

Can you please explain this? It looks to me like it would allow you to
override a method, but still call the original without using alias.
However, when I try anything like that, it only calls the original
method. The method defined inside of M isn't called. Is that a 1.9
thing or am I misunderstanding what you meant?

i was just being stupid. you'd need something like this

cfp2:~ > cat a.rb
class String

Percent = instance_method '%' unless defined? Percent

def % *a, &b
a.flatten!
string =
case a.last
when Hash
expand a.pop
else
self
end
if a.empty?
string
else
Percent.bind(string).call(*a, &b)
end
end

def expand! vars = {}
loop do
changed = false
vars.each do |var, value|
var = var.to_s
var.gsub! %r/[^a-zA-Z0-9_]/, ''
[
%r/\$#{ var }\b/,
%r/\@#{ var }\b/,
%r/\$\{\s*#{ var }\s*\}/,
%r/\@\{\s*#{ var }\s*\}/,
].each do |pat|
changed = gsub! pat, "#{ value }"
end
end
break unless changed
end
self
end

def expand opts = {}
dup.expand! opts
end

end

puts( 'I am @name'.expand:)name => 'Ara') )
puts( 'I am @name' % {:name => 'Ara'} )

cfp2:~ > ruby a.rb
I am Ara
I am Ara

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/

Nobuyoshi Nakada

Hi,

At Fri, 29 Feb 2008 01:57:23 +0900,
Trans wrote in [ruby-talk:292860]:
I have a question and perhaps a bit of challenge for those with mad
parse skills: Has anyone ever considered named parameters for sprintf/
printf? It would be quite useful (to me at least) to be able to do:

Yes, once I had posted the patch for it, and was rejected.
"I am %(name)s." % { :name => "Tom" ]

Has anyone worked on something like this before? Is there anything
equivalent in the Perl world or other language? I realize we can use
numerals to identify the substitutions, but I feel the labels are much
more readable. Moreover, ultimately it would be interesting to see:

"I am %(name)s." % binding

Making use of the binding's local_variables.

Though I don't feel it attractive, I believe named parameter is
an important feature for I18N, and IIRC, ruby-gettext has it.

Gregory Seidman

[...]

You may find the recently announced Jig library of interest. I was sitting
next to Gary during something at RubyConf, maybe RejectConf, and he gave me
a demo. Pretty cool. See http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/144356
Nobu Nakada
--Greg

Trans

Hi,

At Fri, 29 Feb 2008 01:57:23 +0900,
Trans wrote in [ruby-talk:292860]:
I have a question and perhaps a bit of challenge for those with mad
parse skills: Has anyone ever considered named parameters for sprintf/
printf? It would be quite useful (to me at least) to be able to do:

Yes, once I had posted the patch for it, and was rejected.
:(
"I am %(name)s." % { :name => "Tom" ]
Has anyone worked on something like this before? Is there anything
equivalent in the Perl world or other language? I realize we can use
numerals to identify the substitutions, but I feel the labels are much
more readable. Moreover, ultimately it would be interesting to see:
"I am %(name)s." % binding
Making use of the binding's local_variables.

Though I don't feel it attractive, I believe named parameter is
an important feature for I18N, and IIRC, ruby-gettext has it.

Really? It seems like a nice way to apply parameter to templates to
me. Rather then, say,

xml = %{
<customer id="#{params[:id]}">
<name>#{params[:name]}</name>
</customer>
}

One could do:

xml = %{
<customer id="%(id)u">
<name>%(name)s</name>
</customer>
} % params

A little cleaner --and provides a nice means of reusable
interpolation.

I'll have to look at ruby-gettext.

Thanks,
T.

Trans

[...]

Looks like you get the prize ;)

I would like to add this to Facets, though under a slightly different
naming of course. Not sure what though #printfv #sprintfv ?

Thanks!
T.

Trans

[...]

Hmmm... this looks more like an answer to the interpolation question
asked in a earlier thread. Is this a full-fledge implementation? Would
it be a better solution then:

def String.interpolate(&str)
eval "%{#{str.call}}", str.binding
end

T.

Von Fugal

Adam Shelly wrote:
puts "\nMonkeyPatching!\n\n"
class String
alias :eek:ld_percent :%
def % arg
arr = (arg.kind_of? Array) ? arg : [arg]
target = self.gsub(/%\((.+?)\)/){|m|
raise ArgumentError, "named parameters need hash" unless
arg.kind_of? Hash
arr << arg[$1.to_sym]
"%#{arr.size}$"
}
target.old_percent arr
end
end
<snip/>

Don't forget the escaped %, and also, I propose the format %foo:s
instead of %(foo)s. And heres some more code to chew on, based off of
Adam's:

class String
alias old_percent %
def % arg
names = []
target = gsub /(^|[^%])%(\w+):/ do
name, space = $2, $1 # don't forget to replace whatever wasn't %
names << name unless names.include? name
"#{space}%#{names.rindex(name) + 1}$"
end
args = case arg
when Hash: names.map {|n| arg[n] or arg[n.to_sym]} #keys are often
symbols
when Array: arg
else [arg]
end
old_percent args
end
end

Von Fugal

I forgot one important point... Don't make me use a hash if I don't want
to! (hence mapping the hash to array or just using an array if no hash)