Namespace prefix in XSD

Tanja Schaettler

Hello!

I have an existing SOAP message which looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<SOAP-ENV:Envelope
<SOAP-ENV:Body>
<xsi:MaintainCTOBomResponse
<return xsi:type="xsd:string">...

and I need to define an XSD for it.

<xsi:schema targetNamespace="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">
<xsd:element name="Envelope">
<xsd:complexType>
<xsd:sequence>
<xsd:element name="Body" form="qualified">
<xsd:complexType>
<xsd:sequence>
<xsd:element name="MaintainCTOBomResponse">
<xsd:complexType>
<xsd:sequence>
<xsd:element name="return">
<xsd:complexType>
<xsd:sequence>
<xsd:attribute name="type"/>

When I validate the XML with XML Spy it says: "Mandatory element
'MaintainCTOBomResponse' expected in place of 'xsi:MaintainCTOBomResponse'".

I cannot change the XML, how can I add the namespace prefix in the XSD
so that the xsi:MaintainCTOBomResponse element and the return xsi:type
attribute can successfully be validated? Thanks for your help.

Regards, Tanja

Gerben Abbink

Hi,

It is not possible to define more than one namespace within a single xml
schema. However, it is possible to reuse an xml schema with a different
namespace by importing it:

<xsd:schema targetNamespace="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
xmlns:prefix="---namespace-of-MaintainCTOBomResponse---">
<xsd:import namespace="---namespace-of-MaintainCTOBomResponse---"
schemaLocation="---schema-with-MaintainCTOBomResponse---.xsd"/>
<xsd:element name="Envelope">
<xsd:complexType>
<xsd:sequence>
<xsd:element name="Body" form="qualified">
<xsd:complexType>
<xsd:sequence>
<xsd:element ref="prefix:MaintainCTOBomResponse"/>

Gerben Abbink
www.xmlblueprint.com