NamingContainer property on UserControl

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rob Blij, May 25, 2006.

  1. Rob Blij

    Rob Blij Guest

    Hi

    We have ported a .NET1.1 ASP.NET app to .NET2. All our user controls have
    been modified and I have found some strange behavior. Firstly I can see
    that the controls now get rendered at compile time instead of declaring them
    in the ascx.cs file. Then strange thing is: in our aspx page when we call
    Page.LoadControl(usercontrol) all the controls within the usercontrol dont
    get their unique ID ie ctl1_btnDetails etc except each repetition of the
    control get ID="btnDetails" so therefore none of the events work etc.

    The way I alleviated this problem is stange. After the
    Page.LoadControl(usercontrol) I set:
    usercontrol.NamingContainer.ID = "anythinghere" and then all the subcontrols
    get ID's etc correctly.

    Can someone explain this behavior?

    TIA
    Rob