Native MP3 Decoder?

Discussion in 'Python' started by floguy@gmail.com, Sep 30, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I've been working on a simple cross-platform alarm clock application in
    Python. I took the time to learn wxPython for the frontend, and
    figured there would be some backend for decoding mp3s to play at alarm
    time. So far, I have found 3 viable options.

    1) pyMedia, which works great, but only works on Windows XP and Linux,
    and not MacOSX
    2) pyGame, which seems to lack the needed SDL_mixer support for
    pygame.music
    3) wx.MediaCtrl, which supposedly works on Windows and MacOSX, but not
    Linux

    So, I began to look for a pure Python MP3 decoder. To my surprise,
    there was not one implementation to be found. Is Python too slow for a
    pure Python MP3 decoder? I would like to help in getting something
    like this started. Unfortunately, I have almost no knowledge of the
    underlying MP3 algorithm. I know that there is a MP3 decoder written in
    pure Java, called javazoom, which could be drawn from heavily.

    I have begun taking that code and porting it to Python, but what I
    really need is an someone who is experienced who can help me out with
    some of the implementation details.

    If anyone knows of another project like this, an alternative that I
    haven't found yet, or has experience in mp3 decoding, please respond
    with your thoughts.

    , Sep 30, 2006

  2. MonkeeSage Guest

    wrote:
    > If anyone knows of another project like this, an alternative that I
    > haven't found yet, or has experience in mp3 decoding, please respond
    > with your thoughts.

    There's pymad ( http://spacepants.org/src/pymad/ ); haven't tried but
    it should work everywhere libmad does.

    Regards,
    Jordan

    MonkeeSage, Sep 30, 2006

    I did see that, but that seems to only work on Lin/Unix. In fact, the
    only way that I can see to install that package is using distutils and
    the config_unix.py script, which indicates to me that it works only on
    Lin/Unix.

    If I'm mistaken, please let me know.

    MonkeeSage wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > If anyone knows of another project like this, an alternative that I
    > > haven't found yet, or has experience in mp3 decoding, please respond
    > > with your thoughts.

    > There's pymad ( http://spacepants.org/src/pymad/ ); haven't tried but
    > it should work everywhere libmad does.
    >
    > Regards,