    screen...both of which I am, of course, totally innocent of at this time...
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Oct 15, 2004

  2. (Pete Cresswell)

    rf Guest

    (Pete Cresswell)" wrote

    > I'm pretty sure I already know the answer ("No!")....but here goes anyhow.

    It's not no but it may not be what you'd expect :)

    > I have a plain old HTML screen that offers up two panels: lefthand panel a

    slim
    > list of pictures (thumbnail + filename), and a large righthand panel that
    > displays the full-sized pic of the thumbnail clicked on.
    >
    > Can I add a checkbox or something on the parent/root screen so that the

    user can
    > elect to have each full-sized pic opened in a new window if they so

    desire? If
    > so, that would imply some kind of "IF/THEN/ELSE" capability plus the

    ability to
    > reference a field on the parent screen by the HTMO on a panel within that
    > screen...both of which I am, of course, totally innocent of at this

    time...

    You can, if you have access to server side scripting. You would create a
    session cookie to record the choice and then the server side script would
    build an appropriate page with target="_blank" in the links.

    If you do not have acces to server side scripting then you could build two
    versions of the site, one that behaves normally and one that opens in a new
    window. Your root page then directs the viewer to one of the two versions.

    If you are using frames (is that what you mean by "panels"?) (IMHO you
    should not be using frames anyway) then a little bit of javascript could be
    used to remember the choice in the thumbnail frame. Then, you would need to
    replace the normal links with javascript (hopefully javascript that falls
    back gracefully if javascript is not available) to either open the image in
    the other frame or a new window. A simple arrangement.

    However, are you Really Sure that your viewer wants the images to open in a
    new window?

    The easier alternative is:
    Ctrl key (Mozilla) or ... while clicking on the link (or whatever works with
    your browser)</p>

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 15, 2004

  3. (Pete Cresswell)

    Karl Core Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > I'm pretty sure I already know the answer ("No!")....but here goes anyhow.
    >
    > I have a plain old HTML screen that offers up two panels: lefthand panel a
    > slim
    > list of pictures (thumbnail + filename), and a large righthand panel that
    > displays the full-sized pic of the thumbnail clicked on.
    >
    > Can I add a checkbox or something on the parent/root screen so that the
    > user can
    > elect to have each full-sized pic opened in a new window if they so
    > desire? If
    > so, that would imply some kind of "IF/THEN/ELSE" capability plus the
    > ability to
    > reference a field on the parent screen by the HTMO on a panel within that
    > screen...both of which I am, of course, totally innocent of at this
    > time...

    Is it possible? Sure.
    Naturally, since you're wanting to use checkboxes, you'd set up the script
    for the form to create an array that carried the values of the image names.
    Then, create a loop so that for each image name in the array, open window.

    But, if you think that your users want you to vomit a bunch of new windows
    on the screen, you're out of your mind. Users don't even like ONE window.
    Putting even three new windows on their screen is sure to piss people off.

    -Karl

    Karl Core, Oct 15, 2004
  4. RE/
    > (IMHO you
    >should not be using frames anyway)

    A couple of posts have mentioned this. Compatibility?
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Oct 15, 2004
  5. (Pete Cresswell)

    rf Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

    > RE/
    > > (IMHO you
    > >should not be using frames anyway)

    > A couple of posts have mentioned this. Compatibility?

    Google for "frames are evil", both web and groups.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 15, 2004
  6. (Pete Cresswell)

    brucie Guest

  7. RE/
    >The easier alternative is:
    >Ctrl key (Mozilla) or ... while clicking on the link (or whatever works with
    >your browser)</p>

    The idea here was not that most users would want separate windows - just that
    some might have a big screen and want to see a few pix side-by-side.

    I like that idea of just telling the users how to do it themselves......KISS and
    all that. And Shift seems to work with both Mozilla and IE. Also, it's on a
    picture-by-picture basis and a little bit of new windows goes a long way - as
    Richard observes.

    As far as "access to the server side" goes, I'm not sure. This is a CD of
    photographs, so I don't know what constitutes the server. If it means updating
    something on the CD, of course, that's out of the question.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Oct 15, 2004