Navigation

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Marc Robitaille, Mar 2, 2006.

  1. hello,

    I have made Web site for a few years but I had never been concerned with
    navigation between the pages. All the pages are dynamic but do not have
    direct relations between them. There, I have a problem. I have a page where
    I can apply a filter to carry out a research using textbox and combobox.
    Once finished research, I can click in the grid of the result of my research
    to go towards another page. The problem is that when I come back to my
    research page with de Back button, all the informations of my page are still
    in the textbox and the combobox but when I click on a button that I put in
    my page to ge back where I cam from, I loses information of my filter. It is
    as if I turned over on the page of research for the first time. What do I
    have to do to preserve this information with a button?

    Is there a web site that explain and show how to built a good navigation
    between pages of a web site?

    Thank you and excuse my bad english
    --
    Marc R.
    E-mail

    Marc Robitaille, Mar 2, 2006

  2. Marc Robitaille

    Kevin Frey Guest

    If I understand your question correctly, then you have several choices:

    1. Pass the "information" in the textbox and combobox to the other pages
    using a query string, so they can then pass them back to the research page
    (also using a query string) when the user hits your "return" button. For
    example: My_Research_Page?textbox=x&combobox=y.

    2. Use cookies to remember the values of the textbox and combobox, and
    repopulate the controls with these values when the page is reloaded.

    3. Use asp.net session-state on the server side to remember the current
    values of the textbox and combobox, so you can repopulate the controls with
    these values when the page is reloaded.

    Option 1 is simply too tedious so I would not recommend it.

    Option 2 if you use non-persistent cookies has a slight benefit of
    scalability over Option 3, because the client holds the information rather
    than the server. If you use Option 2 with persistent cookies you get the
    benefit of the client remembering the research values even if they go away
    from your web application and return several days later.

    Option 3 is simple to implement in ASP.NET if you are using the InProc
    session state model. Using the SQL Server session state model would give you
    the same type of persistence mechanism as a cookie, but stored on the
    server.

    You need to decide how long you want to retain the information for, and how
    many users you might have in order to decide on a strategy.

    Hope this helps.

    Kevin

    Kevin Frey, Mar 2, 2006