    thanks

    ps...the client insists

    CB
    CB, Dec 1, 2004

  2. CB

    Richard Guest

    CB wrote:

    > thanks

    > ps...the client insists

    > CB

    Tell the client to slap the word "copyright" across the images.
    Explain to the client that when a site is visited, the images are already
    downloaded to the visitor's machine and there is nothing he can do to
    prevent them from being "stolen".
    You can disable the right click, but you can't disable the menu items which
    allows me to save the entire page along with the photos.

    However, to totally annoy the visitor, you can use "onrightclick" and have
    an alert message box pop up instead.
    Of course, this is javascript which can be turned off by the visitor.
    Richard, Dec 1, 2004

  3. CB

    C A Upsdell Guest

    "CB" <> wrote in message
    > thanks
    >
    > ps...the client insists

    The client is in for a rude surprise if they expect such a thing to be
    effective.
    C A Upsdell, Dec 1, 2004
  4. CB

    Dan Ruscoe Guest

    Dan Ruscoe, Dec 1, 2004
  5. "CB" <> schreef in bericht
    > thanks
    >
    > ps...the client insists

    I insist, the client is dumb and so are you.
    Have a nice day.

    Regards,
    Sam
    Samuël van Laere, Dec 1, 2004
  6. CB

    Kris Guest

    In article <cokl2h$7gl$>,
    "CB" <> wrote:

    > ps...the client insists

    Refuse. Call it dignity.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)
    Kris, Dec 1, 2004
  7. "CB" <> skrev i melding
    > thanks
    >
    > ps...the client insists
    >
    > CB

    Not exactly a good thing there. Show me a page with such "protection", and I
    can publish the page on my own server in less than 15 minutes, complete with
    images and everything. I could even have the right-click script removed by
    that time. Goes to show how "secure" this is.

    As suggested by Richard in a seperate post, the only way to make sure your
    client's images aren't stolen, is to slap a big sticker over the image with
    your client's logo, either covering a corner of the image or watermarked
    over the entire image.

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    Kim André Akerø, Dec 1, 2004
  8. In article <cokl2h$7gl$>,
    "CB" <> wrote:

    > thanks
    >
    > ps...the client insists
    >
    > CB

    Bad idea. Disabling the right mouse button pisses of users (as other
    posters have pointed out). If the client is concerned with actual image
    piracy (as opposed to disallowing fair use), use a digital watermarking
    tool/service. This link may be useful:

    <http://www.digimarc.com/watermark/mypicturemarc/>

    Cheers.
    The Square Root of Negative One, Dec 3, 2004
  9. CB

    Art Sackett Guest

    CB <> wrote:
    > thanks
    >
    > ps...the client insists

    First, it's customary to include the question within the body of the
    article. Some of us backward folks can't easily view very long subject
    lines.

    Second: disabling right-clicks doesn't work if javascript is turned
    off, or if the user has ever even passed through the shadow of a clue.
    Consider:

    wget http://www.yourhost.com/images/your_image.jpg

    Or, for those who don't have wget (and why the hell not!?!?!?), there's
    always the option to just enter the image URL into the browser location
    bar, then "Save As". Or to save all of the images, "File -> Save Page
    As" (or whatever the menu items are in a given browser).

    Please, when clients are in need of education, give it to 'em. If you
    don't, then one day the fools are going to see their hijacked images on
    the web somewhere and blame you for it. Then they'll go looking for
    another web deeziner, and piss a lot of people off with their
    uninformed and unreasonable demands.

    "I want it so that no one can download my images!"
    "That's easy. Don't put them on the internet."
    "Don't be glib; it's unprofessional."
    "That's the only way to do the thing you ask."
    "But I want them on my site. I just don't want them stolen."
    "Get used to it. That's just how things really work."
    "I'm going elsewhere. You're unprofessional!"
    "Please do. Have a nice day."

    Lather; rinse; repeat. By the time the message sinks in, your client
    won't want to talk to you any more, because he's lost face. He'll end
    up going elsewhere just to avoid the embarrassment. You'll be out some
    future income, and some other poor dumb bastard will be forced to deal
    with the still ignorant but slightly less so client.

    --
    Art Sackett,
    Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication
    Art Sackett, Dec 3, 2004
  10. CB

    Liz Guest

    In message <>
    Dan Ruscoe <> wrote:

    > In article <cokl2h$7gl$>,
    > says...
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > ps...the client insists
    > >
    > > CB

    > http://www.google.com/search?q=javascript no right click
    >
    > Don't forget to post your client's URL later so I can send him some
    > images stolen from his website.

    Me2, since my OS saves-as with the *middle* button.
    :)

    Liz

    --
    Virtual Liz now at http://www.v-liz.com
    Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos
    Liz, Dec 4, 2004