nedit on windows

Paul Furman

What's the deal with this multi-platform code editor? does this thing
not work on windows? If I go to the US download mirror, there's only
source code, if I go to other mirrors there are different versions for
different os's but no mention of windows.

http://www.nedit.org

Does it even have a gui? I'm thinking I won't like it if it's this
confusing just to download.

Cameron

Paul said:
What's the deal with this multi-platform code editor? does this thing
not work on windows? If I go to the US download mirror, there's only
source code, if I go to other mirrors there are different versions for
different os's but no mention of windows.

http://www.nedit.org

Does it even have a gui? I'm thinking I won't like it if it's this
confusing just to download.

It tells you exactly what you must do for it to work with windows on the
website.

~Cameron

Paul Furman

Cameron said:
It tells you exactly what you must do for it to work with windows on the
website.

~Cameron

OK I found that. http://www.nedit.org/platforms.shtml Looks like it's
got to install a unix emulator cygwin thing. Is this going to be able to
use the windows clipboard & other normal things?

Sorry if a bit grumpy today. pspad seems to be doing the trick for me.
PHPCoder is basically not usable yet from what I can see, the file
browser is broken and there is no indentation feature. 1stPage has some
issues with php also.

Cameron

Paul said:
OK I found that. http://www.nedit.org/platforms.shtml Looks like it's
got to install a unix emulator cygwin thing. Is this going to be able to
use the windows clipboard & other normal things?

Sorry if a bit grumpy today. pspad seems to be doing the trick for me.
PHPCoder is basically not usable yet from what I can see, the file
browser is broken and there is no indentation feature. 1stPage has some
issues with php also.

I would presume it can, I don't use cygwin, I use FreeBSD Unix.

~Cameron

Jeffrey Silverman

What's the deal with this multi-platform code editor? does this thing
not work on windows? If I go to the US download mirror, there's only
source code, if I go to other mirrors there are different versions for
different os's but no mention of windows.

http://www.nedit.org

Does it even have a gui? I'm thinking I won't like it if it's this
confusing just to download.

Question is, why do you want to use a (to quote the nedit site) "a
multi-purpose text editor for the X Window System"?? MS Windows is not X
Windows! (But I guess you know that.)

There are a gajillion (thats 1 with 72 zeroes after) text editors designed
for coding and that run *easily* on MS Windows. Just seems silly to not
use something else.

Paul said:
What's the deal with this multi-platform code editor? does this thing
not work on windows? If I go to the US download mirror, there's only
source code, if I go to other mirrors there are different versions for
different os's but no mention of windows.

http://www.nedit.org

Does it even have a gui? I'm thinking I won't like it if it's this
confusing just to download.

This is a capable programmer's editor, but hardly my favorite, even under
'nix. It seems to have the kind of raw edges that
I associate with early X-Windows applications, but it's rock solid.
Editors like nedit and emacs can appear distinctly odd to someone
who's only been in the Windows world. Look into TextPad or
Note Tab.