    http://www.nedit.org

    Does it even have a gui? I'm thinking I won't like it if it's this
    confusing just to download.
    Paul Furman, Feb 6, 2004

  2. Paul Furman

    Cameron Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > What's the deal with this multi-platform code editor? does this thing
    > not work on windows? If I go to the US download mirror, there's only
    > source code, if I go to other mirrors there are different versions for
    > different os's but no mention of windows.
    >
    > http://www.nedit.org
    >
    > Does it even have a gui? I'm thinking I won't like it if it's this
    > confusing just to download.

    It tells you exactly what you must do for it to work with windows on the
    website.

    ~Cameron
    Cameron, Feb 6, 2004

  3. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Cameron wrote:

    > Paul Furman wrote:
    >
    >> What's the deal with this multi-platform code editor? does this thing
    >> not work on windows? If I go to the US download mirror, there's only
    >> source code, if I go to other mirrors there are different versions for
    >> different os's but no mention of windows.
    >>
    >> http://www.nedit.org
    >>
    >> Does it even have a gui? I'm thinking I won't like it if it's this
    >> confusing just to download.
    >>

    > It tells you exactly what you must do for it to work with windows on the
    > website.
    >
    > ~Cameron

    OK I found that. http://www.nedit.org/platforms.shtml Looks like it's
    got to install a unix emulator cygwin thing. Is this going to be able to
    use the windows clipboard & other normal things?

    Sorry if a bit grumpy today. pspad seems to be doing the trick for me.
    PHPCoder is basically not usable yet from what I can see, the file
    browser is broken and there is no indentation feature. 1stPage has some
    issues with php also.
    Paul Furman, Feb 6, 2004
  4. Paul Furman

    Cameron Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > Cameron wrote:
    >
    >> Paul Furman wrote:
    >>
    >>> What's the deal with this multi-platform code editor? does this thing
    >>> not work on windows? If I go to the US download mirror, there's only
    >>> source code, if I go to other mirrors there are different versions
    >>> for different os's but no mention of windows.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.nedit.org
    >>>
    >>> Does it even have a gui? I'm thinking I won't like it if it's this
    >>> confusing just to download.
    >>>

    >> It tells you exactly what you must do for it to work with windows on
    >> the website.
    >>
    >> ~Cameron

    > OK I found that. http://www.nedit.org/platforms.shtml Looks like it's
    > got to install a unix emulator cygwin thing. Is this going to be able to
    > use the windows clipboard & other normal things?
    >
    > Sorry if a bit grumpy today. pspad seems to be doing the trick for me.
    > PHPCoder is basically not usable yet from what I can see, the file
    > browser is broken and there is no indentation feature. 1stPage has some
    > issues with php also.

    I would presume it can, I don't use cygwin, I use FreeBSD Unix.

    ~Cameron
    Cameron, Feb 6, 2004
  5. On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 09:09:56 -0800, Paul Furman wrote:

    > What's the deal with this multi-platform code editor? does this thing
    > not work on windows? If I go to the US download mirror, there's only
    > source code, if I go to other mirrors there are different versions for
    > different os's but no mention of windows.
    >
    > http://www.nedit.org
    >
    > Does it even have a gui? I'm thinking I won't like it if it's this
    > confusing just to download.

    Question is, why do you want to use a (to quote the nedit site) "a
    multi-purpose text editor for the X Window System"?? MS Windows is not X
    Windows! (But I guess you know that.)

    There are a gajillion (thats 1 with 72 zeroes after) text editors designed
    for coding and that run *easily* on MS Windows. Just seems silly to not
    use something else.

    --
    -------------------------
    | Jeffrey Silverman |
    Jeffrey Silverman, Feb 6, 2004
  6. Paul Furman

    m Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:

    > What's the deal with this multi-platform code editor? does this thing
    > not work on windows? If I go to the US download mirror, there's only
    > source code, if I go to other mirrors there are different versions for
    > different os's but no mention of windows.
    >
    > http://www.nedit.org
    >
    > Does it even have a gui? I'm thinking I won't like it if it's this
    > confusing just to download.

    This is a capable programmer's editor, but hardly my favorite, even under
    'nix. It seems to have the kind of raw edges that
    I associate with early X-Windows applications, but it's rock solid.
    Editors like nedit and emacs can appear distinctly odd to someone
    who's only been in the Windows world. Look into TextPad or
    Note Tab.
    --
    cheers m
    m, Feb 6, 2004