    process the xml & xsl files.

    Thanks in advance

    Euan

    Don't post to this address, Jul 27, 2003

  2. Don't post to this address

    Simon Harvey Guest

    Euan,

    You're user is going to have to have some sort of browser anyway. Its not a
    matter of you not wanting them to HAVE to download it, its a question of
    whether you are using some technology that is specif to IE. You probably
    aren't but if you are using html that is only going to work in IE then
    you'll need to change it. This is probably not the case though.

    What you now need to look at is probably not an applet (not necessary and
    has a a number of disadvantages in this instance), you need to learn a
    server side language such as JSP or ASP.net. Unless you have access to
    Visual Studio and Microsofts web server, IIS, I would recomend using
    JSP/Servlets.

    JSP and ASP.net are both easy to learn, but ASP is a Microsoft solution and
    as such you need their software in order to get the most of it. JSP isn't as
    restricted and their are numerous Application/Webservers that are free.
    Also, unlike ASP, the best IDEs are free. Apart from dreamweaver, which i
    strongly recommend you getting your mitts on! :)

    I have to say though, that if you don't actually have a reason for using
    xml, then I wouldnt use it. Its hard enough as it is. Use it if you have
    loads of content that you want to be able to publish in lots of different
    formats, otherwise I strongly recommend you use Macromedia's Contribute
    software to manage your content. The benefit being that it is as easy as
    browsing to the page you want (in the program itself!) and selecting Edit.
    You make your changes, as simpley as using Word and then save. Your changes
    are published immediately and a copy of all your revisions are backed up so
    you can always roll-back. Nice

    Also, its very easy to use and as such, you don't have to have any specif
    skills in order to use it. This means that many many more people can start
    creating content for your site, which is highly recommended because that
    what keep the surfers coming back is it not! :)

    Good luck. At the very least i would look at Macromedia and get trials of
    Dreamweaver and Contribute. I fyou buy, you'll get a massive discount on the
    whole Studio package and a good price on Contribute seperately

    Simon

    Simon Harvey, Jul 27, 2003