    Does anybody know of a good font to use for a film noir site?

    I'd be very appreciative.

    lynnpd

    Lynn Dougherty, Aug 15, 2004

  2. Lynn Dougherty

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hello,
    > Does anybody know of a good font to use for a film noir site?

    Are you going to put the font in an image? That is the only reliable
    way of using a special font.

    If so, hit one of the photoshop, or ad design newsgroups. They are
    experts in things like this.
    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free

    WebcastMaker, Aug 15, 2004

  3. Lynn Dougherty wrote:
    > Does anybody know of a good font to use for a film noir site?

    The font your visitor chooses.

    Leif K-Brooks, Aug 15, 2004
  4. Lynn Dougherty

    Neal Guest

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:46:05 -0400, Lynn Dougherty <>
    wrote:

    > Hello,
    > Does anybody know of a good font to use for a film noir site?
    >
    > I'd be very appreciative.

    Websites work differently than you expect, apparently. We cannot force a
    font upon a user (well, there is technology to do so, but it's got its own
    set of issues I won't go into - search Google Groups for WEFT) - we are
    stuck with whatever fonts are installed when the user accesses your
    document.

    There have been studies on how many users use which font, and the results
    indicate that if you want an unusual font to be used in most browsers
    which access your page, good luck, it won't happen. Users generally see
    most of what is on the internet in one of a handful of common fonts.

    If you need a different font for a Very Good Reason like a logo, using an
    image is your best bet. Be sure to use it as an img and not a background
    image if it is indeed content, and use alt text to indicate to users who
    cannot see the image for whatever reason what information the image is
    supposed to impart.

    Neal, Aug 15, 2004
  5. Lynn Dougherty

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > > Does anybody know of a good font to use for a film noir site?

    > The font your visitor chooses.

    Then it may not have the feeling the OP is trying to get across. And
    while you might disagree, film noir is most definitely a specific look
    and feel. And sometimes, THAT is more important than the users fonts.
    It also makes a difference how and where the font is used. Is it part
    of the website's logo or header? (in which case the alt tag will suffice
    for everyone that doesn't want to see font based text images.)

    There are too many things you may not know about the site to give a
    blanket "the font the visitor chooses" answer.

    ymmv
    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free

    WebcastMaker, Aug 15, 2004
  6. Lynn Dougherty

    Neal Guest

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:00:46 -0400, WebcastMaker <> wrote:

    > In article <>, says...
    >> > Does anybody know of a good font to use for a film noir site?

    >> The font your visitor chooses.

    > Then it may not have the feeling the OP is trying to get across. And
    > while you might disagree, film noir is most definitely a specific look
    > and feel. And sometimes, THAT is more important than the users fonts.
    > It also makes a difference how and where the font is used. Is it part
    > of the website's logo or header? (in which case the alt tag will suffice
    > for everyone that doesn't want to see font based text images.)
    >
    > There are too many things you may not know about the site to give a
    > blanket "the font the visitor chooses" answer.

    If the OP wishes to use a font that is not on most user's systems, what
    are the possibilities?

    1) Author indicates it as the preferred font, I see my default anyway.
    2) Author uses image for text throughout the page, users with no images
    see alt in their default font and all sorts of problems occur when someone
    tries to enlarge the text for readability.
    3) Author uses image for text in the logo and a more common font for text.
    Again, the alt is in a default font.
    4) Author uses Flash. I see a different website.

    In any case, I think you're both right. There are fonts which are more
    appropriate for a film noir site, but as you recommended another ng might
    be the source of that answer. And it is definitely poor practice to
    attempt to foist this oddball font as your desired page font.

    Neal, Aug 15, 2004
  7. Thanks all for your responses. I am creating an image file using this font,
    so while all you are saying it true, I still need a film noir style font.

    Thanks again for your help.

    Sincerely,
    Lynnpd

    Lynn Dougherty, Aug 15, 2004
  8. Lynn Dougherty

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Thanks all for your responses. I am creating an image file using this font,
    > so while all you are saying it true, I still need a film noir style font.

    Like I said before, go to a photoshop or marketing newsgroup and you
    will be rewarded with your answer (and font)
    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free

    WebcastMaker, Aug 15, 2004
  9. Lynn Dougherty

    Neal Guest

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:21:36 -0400, Lynn Dougherty <>
    wrote:

    > Thanks all for your responses. I am creating an image file using this
    > font,
    > so while all you are saying it true, I still need a film noir style font.

    As I mentioned, this ng really isn't the best place for that. Try a ng
    dedicated to graphic design or even publishing.

    Neal, Aug 16, 2004