need a font for film noir

Lynn Dougherty

Hello,
Does anybody know of a good font to use for a film noir site?

I'd be very appreciative.

lynnpd

WebcastMaker

Hello,
Does anybody know of a good font to use for a film noir site?
Are you going to put the font in an image? That is the only reliable
way of using a special font.

If so, hit one of the photoshop, or ad design newsgroups. They are
experts in things like this.

Neal

Hello,
Does anybody know of a good font to use for a film noir site?

I'd be very appreciative.

Websites work differently than you expect, apparently. We cannot force a
font upon a user (well, there is technology to do so, but it's got its own
set of issues I won't go into - search Google Groups for WEFT) - we are
stuck with whatever fonts are installed when the user accesses your
document.

There have been studies on how many users use which font, and the results
indicate that if you want an unusual font to be used in most browsers
which access your page, good luck, it won't happen. Users generally see
most of what is on the internet in one of a handful of common fonts.

If you need a different font for a Very Good Reason like a logo, using an
image is your best bet. Be sure to use it as an img and not a background
image if it is indeed content, and use alt text to indicate to users who
cannot see the image for whatever reason what information the image is
supposed to impart.

WebcastMaker

The font your visitor chooses.

Then it may not have the feeling the OP is trying to get across. And
while you might disagree, film noir is most definitely a specific look
and feel. And sometimes, THAT is more important than the users fonts.
It also makes a difference how and where the font is used. Is it part
of the website's logo or header? (in which case the alt tag will suffice
for everyone that doesn't want to see font based text images.)

There are too many things you may not know about the site to give a
blanket "the font the visitor chooses" answer.

ymmv

Neal

Then it may not have the feeling the OP is trying to get across. And
while you might disagree, film noir is most definitely a specific look
and feel. And sometimes, THAT is more important than the users fonts.
It also makes a difference how and where the font is used. Is it part
of the website's logo or header? (in which case the alt tag will suffice
for everyone that doesn't want to see font based text images.)

There are too many things you may not know about the site to give a
blanket "the font the visitor chooses" answer.

If the OP wishes to use a font that is not on most user's systems, what
are the possibilities?

1) Author indicates it as the preferred font, I see my default anyway.
2) Author uses image for text throughout the page, users with no images
see alt in their default font and all sorts of problems occur when someone
tries to enlarge the text for readability.
3) Author uses image for text in the logo and a more common font for text.
Again, the alt is in a default font.
4) Author uses Flash. I see a different website.

In any case, I think you're both right. There are fonts which are more
appropriate for a film noir site, but as you recommended another ng might
be the source of that answer. And it is definitely poor practice to
attempt to foist this oddball font as your desired page font.

Lynn Dougherty

Thanks all for your responses. I am creating an image file using this font,
so while all you are saying it true, I still need a film noir style font.

Thanks again for your help.

Sincerely,
Lynnpd

WebcastMaker

Thanks all for your responses. I am creating an image file using this font,
so while all you are saying it true, I still need a film noir style font.

Like I said before, go to a photoshop or marketing newsgroup and you
will be rewarded with your answer (and font)

Neal

Thanks all for your responses. I am creating an image file using this
font,
so while all you are saying it true, I still need a film noir style font.

As I mentioned, this ng really isn't the best place for that. Try a ng
dedicated to graphic design or even publishing.