need a free IDE to use with MS compiler

Joe C

Matt said:
I've installed Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 and Microsoft Platform
SDK from

http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/
and
http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/

They don't seem to give away Visual Studio C++. I would like a simple
IDE to use with the compiler and libraries.

Why not use dev-c++ from:
http://www.bloodshed.net/

It's a Win IDE for the the gcc compiler. My tests (P4, WinXP) indicate that
I get faster code with dec-c++ than with the free windows compiler.

Matt

Joe said:
Why not use dev-c++ from:
http://www.bloodshed.net/

It's a Win IDE for the the gcc compiler. My tests (P4, WinXP) indicate that
I get faster code with dec-c++ than with the free windows compiler.

Do you know of an IDE that works with the MS compiler and libraries?
Thanks.

Gernot Frisch

Could you define what exactly an IDE is?

Integrated development environment. For C++ that would be a text
editor, that can call a batch/bash file for compiling e.g. It's not a
very good IDE then, but it is one.
-Gernot

Joe C

Matt said:
Do you know of an IDE that works with the MS compiler and libraries?
Thanks.
Sorry Matt, I don't. I know of another gcc/Ming based IDE for Windows that
is made to "feel" like MS Developer Studio...it's called "MinGW Developer
Studio"...but, alas, it doesn't use the libraries you want. I don't know
how safe it is to mix libraries...However, when I compiled code using the
free MS compiler, I found that it didn't have <stdint.h> (a c[99] library)
that I called in the code. I just copied the file from the dev-c++ path to
the MS library and the project compiled without complications.

Good luck. Let me know if you find a free IDE that's compatible with MSVC++

Matt

Rolf said:
Matt wrote:

Could you define what exactly an IDE is?
^^^^^^^

Fair question, but I guess that would be about as easy as writing one.
:)

Mainly I need an editor and something like a Make facility.

Visual Studio used to be able to analyze code by class hierarchy. Stuff
like that would be nice, but not necessary.

I have an app that runs on Linux, and I would like to build it also on
Windows, with minimal changes. Probably if I can find a good make to
work with the MS compiler, I would be relatively happy.

Bob Hairgrove

Mainly I need an editor and something like a Make facility.
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

Visual Studio used to be able to analyze code by class hierarchy. Stuff
like that would be nice, but not necessary.

CDT has code completion now.
I have an app that runs on Linux, and I would like to build it also on
Windows, with minimal changes. Probably if I can find a good make to
work with the MS compiler, I would be relatively happy.

Eclipse with CDT runs on Java and works on both Windows and Linux.

Mike Smith

Matt said:
I have an app that runs on Linux, and I would like to build it also on
Windows, with minimal changes. Probably if I can find a good make to
work with the MS compiler, I would be relatively happy.

If you're already developing on Linux, then you may in fact be better
off with something like Dev-C++ or MinGW Developer Studio, since they
use GCC - i.e. the same compiler you are (probably) already using! Is
there a particular reason you are set on the MS compiler?

Matt

Mike said:
If you're already developing on Linux, then you may in fact be better
off with something like Dev-C++ or MinGW Developer Studio, since they
use GCC - i.e. the same compiler you are (probably) already using! Is
there a particular reason you are set on the MS compiler?

Well, really I don't want to use MS, but I would be distributing
binaries of the app, and I believe that that means the user would need
glibc (as a DLL I suppose) and DLLs for supporting stuff such as Tcl/Tk
and GLUT. So unless I am wrong, either the user would have to seek
those packages himself or I would have to include them along with source
for everything including my app. And I guess it would be the same
(regarding distribution of source) if I were to link statically and put
the app and all the library stuff in one big binary.

Rolf Magnus

Matt said:
Well, really I don't want to use MS, but I would be distributing
binaries of the app, and I believe that that means the user would need
glibc (as a DLL I suppose) and DLLs for supporting stuff such as
Tcl/Tk and GLUT. So unless I am wrong, either the user would have to
seek those packages himself or I would have to include them along with
source

No. You just have to offer the source to anyone who asks for it.
for everything including my app.

No. Only for those DLLs, AFAIK, but IANAL. You might wanna ask in a GNU
newsgroup or read the GPL FAQ on gnu.org to be sure about that.
And I guess it would be the same (regarding distribution of source) if
I were to link statically and put the app and all the library stuff in
one big binary.

Linking statically is a different story. I think you'd need to include
the full source of your program in this case.

red floyd

Rolf said:
Matt wrote:

No. You just have to offer the source to anyone who asks for it.

No. Only for those DLLs, AFAIK, but IANAL. You might wanna ask in a GNU
newsgroup or read the GPL FAQ on gnu.org to be sure about that.
You only have to provide source for GLIBC (it's LGPL, I believe). If
you incorporated existing GPL code in your app, then you need to
distribute the source. Don't like that? Then roll your own code.

Note that the use of a GPL'ed compler (such as GCC) does not mean your
application is GPL. You are free to license your app in any way you see
fit, as long as you don't use GPL code in it.

Note that if you link statically, you might have to distribute your
whole source. IANAL and IANAGPLGuru.

Matt

Bob said:
Eclipse with CDT runs on Java and works on both Windows and Linux.

http://www.eclipse.org/cdt looks good. Presumably under Windows I could
use CDT with gmake and the MS compiler. How would I install gmake? Are
binaries available for gmake on XP? Would I install the gmake source
code and compile using the MS compiler? Or would I first install gcc
and compile gmake using gcc? I suppose any of the three would be
okay---whichever is easier---as long as I end up using the MS compiler
and gmake on my app.

Andre Heinen

http://www.eclipse.org/cdt looks good. Presumably under Windows I could
use CDT with gmake and the MS compiler. How would I install gmake? Are
binaries available for gmake on XP? Would I install the gmake source
code and compile using the MS compiler? Or would I first install gcc
and compile gmake using gcc? I suppose any of the three would be
okay---whichever is easier---as long as I end up using the MS compiler
and gmake on my app.

Personally I installed Cygwin: http://www.cygwin.com/
It's very easy to install, you don't have to recompile anything,
and once it's done you have all the GNU utilities available under
Windows, including make and gcc.

I make makefiles for GNU make from which I invoke the MS
compiler.

Cygwin is not only a port of the GNU utilities, it is also the
Unix API available under Windows. As it has been designed
specifically to ease porting Unix apps to Windows, I suppose the
license doesn't require you to distribute your source code.
Check their web site, this might be the best solution for you
after all.

Hint: in case you decide to use gcc, you'll probably want to use
the -mno-cygwin option.

HTH,

Mike Smith

Matt said:
Well, really I don't want to use MS, but I would be distributing
binaries of the app, and I believe that that means the user would need
glibc (as a DLL I suppose)

Dev-C++ and MinGW DevStudio use the MinGW compiler, which is a version
of GCC that does not require glibc (its output EXEs link to the
MS-supplied MSVCRT.DLL).
and DLLs for supporting stuff such as Tcl/Tk
and GLUT.

Only if you use them. This would be just as true if you used these
libraries with the MS compiler. AFAIC there is no compelling reason to
use the MS compiler itself. The only reason to use it, IMO, would be as
part of the complete Visual Studio package (if you like the VS IDE,
which I do, and others may not).