Need a good Book

Johnfli

Most of my ASP programming experience is on NT4.

We recently upgraded (replaced) our NT4 webserver with Win2k3 Web Edition.
I am looking for a good book that I can go through that will show me the new
and different ways IIS6 does things. I found out that some things still
work from my old web site, but they no longer work on the new site.

Thanks

Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]

I have serious doubts that you will find a quality book that deals with
classic ASP on Windows 2003. Everything with a publish date that new is
going ot be geared to ASP.Net.

Can you explain what "no longer work" means? Maybe we can help and you
won't have to buy a book?

Johnfli

Well, I have to create some new stuff. I have to be able to display data
from my SQL Server and allow 'some' people to add new records and modify
some records eetc. all teh fun stuff.

But on the exsistign webpage that we have, I had to do some modifications
with how to retrieve data from my sql, setup bookmarks etc.
I also had a page that I could fill out some fields and it would send it out
as an email. Had to dosome changes to that as well as teh CDONTS seemed to
no longer be apart of IIS6.

Is there a good (or decent) program I can use that would help with doing teh
visual layout? On NT4, I would use front page to do the visual layout of
teh site, then I would code the rest using asp.

if I have to learn asp.net, then I guess I'll need to.

Johnfli

Well, I would have hoped that you had read my first post first, then the
second post. I never said "nothing seems to work". I also stated that I
had to do some modifications to get me email page to work, along with other
modifications for other pages.

On top of that, by me saying that we upgraded out webserver from NT4 to 2003
web edition, that implies that we are hosting our own site so asking the
webhost for various components, is also not applicable.

And posting a specific question, I did in my first post in this thread.
As for my second post, it was in response to Aaron.

Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]

second post. I never said "nothing seems to work".

Right, you said "some things...no longer work."

Johnfli

anyway;
Seeing how it does look like I'll need to start doing the asp.net stuff, is
there a good book that will not only tell about the features of it, but also
has good examples?

Mike Brind

CDONTS was deprecated and has not been available since Windows Server
2000. Parent paths are no longer enabled by default on 2003, so
<!--#include file="../../somefile.asp won't work, and you might be
dealing with a newer version of MDAC. Oh, and classic ASP is not
enabled by default.

The only changes I had to make when migrating from NT4 to 2003 revolved
around CDONTS to CDO, and parent paths. What data access changes did
you have to make?

Finally, there's no reason why you can't continue to use FP as a
WYSIWYG editor. Alternatively, you could download a free copy of
Visual Web Developer Express and use that, although it's not ideal.

Johnfli

I was looking at the Visual Web Developer Express, so I might as well
download and give it a shot.
Well, I was pretty lucky with the email page I had, I didn't have to worry
about any attachments, so once I found the correct way to call the 2003 SMTP
part, the rest was pretty easy.

As far as my data issues, I forget what exactly I had to do, but it
basically was that IIS6 was less forgiving. I remember that I had to
specify the lock type, and a few other things.

Let me know if you really want to know, and I'll go dig up the changes from
the code.