    and different ways IIS6 does things. I found out that some things still
    work from my old web site, but they no longer work on the new site.

    Thanks

    Johnfli, Sep 7, 2006

  2. I have serious doubts that you will find a quality book that deals with
    classic ASP on Windows 2003. Everything with a publish date that new is
    going ot be geared to ASP.Net.

    Can you explain what "no longer work" means? Maybe we can help and you
    won't have to buy a book?

    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Sep 7, 2006

  3. Johnfli

    Johnfli Guest

    Well, I have to create some new stuff. I have to be able to display data
    from my SQL Server and allow 'some' people to add new records and modify
    some records eetc. all teh fun stuff.

    But on the exsistign webpage that we have, I had to do some modifications
    with how to retrieve data from my sql, setup bookmarks etc.
    I also had a page that I could fill out some fields and it would send it out
    as an email. Had to dosome changes to that as well as teh CDONTS seemed to
    no longer be apart of IIS6.

    Is there a good (or decent) program I can use that would help with doing teh
    visual layout? On NT4, I would use front page to do the visual layout of
    teh site, then I would code the rest using asp.

    if I have to learn asp.net, then I guess I'll need to.

    Johnfli, Sep 7, 2006
  4. Johnfli

    Johnfli Guest

    Well, I would have hoped that you had read my first post first, then the
    second post. I never said "nothing seems to work". I also stated that I
    had to do some modifications to get me email page to work, along with other
    modifications for other pages.

    On top of that, by me saying that we upgraded out webserver from NT4 to 2003
    web edition, that implies that we are hosting our own site so asking the
    webhost for various components, is also not applicable.

    And posting a specific question, I did in my first post in this thread.
    As for my second post, it was in response to Aaron.

    Johnfli, Sep 7, 2006
  5. > second post. I never said "nothing seems to work".

    Right, you said "some things...no longer work."

    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Sep 7, 2006
  6. Johnfli

    Johnfli Guest

    anyway;
    Seeing how it does look like I'll need to start doing the asp.net stuff, is
    there a good book that will not only tell about the features of it, but also
    has good examples?

    Johnfli, Sep 7, 2006
  7. Johnfli

    Mike Brind Guest

    CDONTS was deprecated and has not been available since Windows Server
    2000. Parent paths are no longer enabled by default on 2003, so
    <!--#include file="../../somefile.asp won't work, and you might be
    dealing with a newer version of MDAC. Oh, and classic ASP is not
    enabled by default.

    The only changes I had to make when migrating from NT4 to 2003 revolved
    around CDONTS to CDO, and parent paths. What data access changes did
    you have to make?

    Finally, there's no reason why you can't continue to use FP as a
    WYSIWYG editor. Alternatively, you could download a free copy of
    Visual Web Developer Express and use that, although it's not ideal.

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Sep 7, 2006
  8. Johnfli

    Johnfli Guest

    I was looking at the Visual Web Developer Express, so I might as well
    download and give it a shot.
    Well, I was pretty lucky with the email page I had, I didn't have to worry
    about any attachments, so once I found the correct way to call the 2003 SMTP
    part, the rest was pretty easy.

    As far as my data issues, I forget what exactly I had to do, but it
    basically was that IIS6 was less forgiving. I remember that I had to
    specify the lock type, and a few other things.

    Let me know if you really want to know, and I'll go dig up the changes from
    the code.

    Johnfli, Sep 7, 2006