need a good IDE

Zach

Running Windows 98 SE and Debian GNU Linux (unstable release) with
2.4.18 kernel.

1) How do I install Java on each platform?

2) What are good IDE for each platform?

Regards!
Zach

klynn47

You should be able to find what you need at java.sun.com. Just get the
Windows or Unix version.

There are many IDEs. If I use an IDE, I usually use JGrasp,
www.jgrasp.org

kaeli

Running Windows 98 SE and Debian GNU Linux (unstable release) with
2.4.18 kernel.

1) How do I install Java on each platform?

See Sun's documentation at their site.
http://java.sun.com
2) What are good IDE for each platform?

I really like JBuilder for Windows, but it's a HUGE resource hog.
Eclipse is popular, too, and runs on both platforms (and it has loads of free
plugins). I prefer JBuilder to Eclipse, myself, as I find the interface more
intuitive, but YMMV. I play with Eclipse during what little free time I have,
and I'd say if you've the time to learn the IDE, use that. If you need to get
going right away (like I did), use whichever one is easiest for you and learn
Eclipse later. Eventually you'll want it, though (there's just so many really
cool FREE plugins). Assuming you don't have loads of money to spend on a
product. If you've loads of money to spend on an IDE, I hear IBM Websphere is
excellent, and it's based on Eclipse (so plugins might work for it).

Malte

Zach said:
Running Windows 98 SE and Debian GNU Linux (unstable release) with
2.4.18 kernel.

1) How do I install Java on each platform?

2) What are good IDE for each platform?

Regards!
Zach
I like NetBeans (free) and Oracle JDeveloper (not free for commercial
use) and Eclipse (free).

Eclipse (this is religion, so bear with me) is the nicest OO tool, but
one comes to depend on a series of plugins, and it seems it is forever
in development mode.

JDeveloper will do everything the other will, but it is, of course, very
database centric.

NetBeans will do J2EE very well. Not sure about EJB, though.

I have seen people use TogetherJ, which look nice. Is not free.

All of the above are cross platform / Java based.

There are others, JBuilder being popular, but I have not used it.

JavaJava

Malte, are you saying it seems Eclipse is forever in development more
or the plugins? Eclipse is currently at a stable release of 3.0.1 and
the majority of the plugins are also in stable releases.

Josh

Malte

JavaJava said:
Malte, are you saying it seems Eclipse is forever in development more
or the plugins? Eclipse is currently at a stable release of 3.0.1 and
the majority of the plugins are also in stable releases.

Josh
Well, it is more like a feeling. When I talk to Eclipse users say often
tell me: get this plugin, get that plugin. I guess this is just how open
source works. I've been spoiled by using a commercial product
(JDeveloper) that comes fully equipped with everything I need.
I used to SELL IBM VisualAge (which is where Eclipse came from), and I
liked it for its total commitment to object technology.