    -Robin
    --
    [ webmaster @ infusedlight.net ]
    Robin, Apr 23, 2004

  2. Robin wrote:

    > Does anyone know of any modules that create

    Tons of 'em. CGI.pm has some basic HTML creation functions built in.
    HTML::Mason is popular. There are a boatload of template modules on CPAN,
    too many to list here - go to cpan.org and search for "html template".

    > and display dynamically dhtml/css layers?

    That's harder - much harder. What you're essentially asking is how to write
    a browser in Perl, complete with CSS and JS support. That's a fairly meaty
    project.

    If you're using Mac OS X Panther, you can use CamelBones and WebKit to write
    a browser - there's one at <http://jerakeen.org/programming/toybox/>.

    If you're on Linux, you might be able to do something with GTK's HTML widget
    and Perl bindings.

    If you're using Windows, you'll have to ask someone else. I haven't done
    much with Windows for a while.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Apr 23, 2004

  3. Robin

    Uri Guttman Guest

    R> Does anyone know of any modules that create and display dynamically
    R> dhtml/css layers?

    i use Delete::Robin all the time. i highly recommend it.

    why do these dumb self-taught coders never realize how little we care
    about their opinions or code? is it some self-delusion that they
    actually matter? i didn't read the books post but i am sure it was
    useless, and given the 'reviewer', it will be a silly list as he never
    seems to rtfm at all, so how could anyone trust him to pick books?

    and books.perl.org already exists.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 23, 2004
  4. Robin

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "Robin" <robin @ infusedlight.net> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know of any modules that create and display dynamically
    > dhtml/css layers?

    You just have to say the magic words: Click-a-dee-click. Barba trick!

    On a more serious note, I heard once of a project to mesh PSI::ESP with
    CGI.pm to create an automated interface that responds to what users want. In
    other words, a webmaster like you could will the output from your scripts to
    suit whatever needs you have. It might not be easy to find (not sure how far
    the project has come along), but if nothing else you'll learn how to use
    Google. You may even learn how write dhtml on your own.

    Matt
    Matt Garrish, Apr 23, 2004
  5. Also sprach Uri Guttman:

    > R> Does anyone know of any modules that create and display dynamically
    > R> dhtml/css layers?
    >
    > i use Delete::Robin all the time. i highly recommend it.

    The more I see pointless postings such as this one, the more I'm tempted
    to recommend giving you a negative score.

    > why do these dumb self-taught coders never realize how little we care
    > about their opinions or code? is it some self-delusion that they
    > actually matter? i didn't read the books post but i am sure it was
    > useless, and given the 'reviewer', it will be a silly list as he never
    > seems to rtfm at all, so how could anyone trust him to pick books?

    Eh, what is that? Making implicit crossreferences to other threads
    (whose original posting, btw, is not carried by my news server) is not a
    very clever thing to do unless they are made explicit by giving a
    message-id or at least the subject.

    Tassilo
    Tassilo v. Parseval, Apr 23, 2004
  6. Robin

    Joe Smith Guest

    Robin wrote:

    > Does anyone know of any modules that create and display dynamically
    > dhtml/css layers?

    Display as what? Fixed-width text on an 80 column by 24 line screen?
    Joe Smith, Apr 23, 2004
  7. On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 03:03:07 GMT, Uri Guttman <>
    wrote:

    >i use Delete::Robin all the time. i highly recommend it.
    >
    >why do these dumb self-taught coders never realize how little we care
    >about their opinions or code? is it some self-delusion that they

    Dear URI,

    I, for one, slightly *disagree* with you: while I find too that most
    threads started by Robin are a real PITA, I don't see why *a priori*
    self-taught coders' opinons/code should not be cared. Of course it
    would be better if they accepted more intelligently the suggestions
    they receive, but then again I, for one, am a self-taught coder
    happily perling mostly everyday on a non-professional basis *and*
    AFAICT you've never complained with me like this, yet, my very first
    posts here were not much better than Robin's. (I suppose!)

    $uri->kindness->increase_by(10);
    $uri->elitarism->increase_by(-10);

    Just my two Eurocents,
    Michele
    - Xah Lee trolling on clpmisc,
    Michele Dondi, Apr 23, 2004
  8. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Re: need a good module + what I'm trying to do

    Alright, and sorry about posting attachments, I forgot to take them out.

    I finally figured out what I need to do, this but it shouldn't be that hard
    to do, I just have to use the print redirect function in cgi.pm...or
    autoload the layers

    basically what I want to do is write a blogger that has two buttons that
    show and hide comments dyanimically, ie: like a tab on windows, but the
    comments have to be rendered dynamically...so I'll probably just autoload
    the layers if this is possible... or redirect to the same script with the
    layer shown.

    Does anyone know a module that creates DHTML layers that are autoloaded with
    the contents loaded (ie: from files) dynamically on the server side?

    Thanks-
    Robin
    Robin, Apr 23, 2004
  9. Robin

    Uri Guttman Guest

    MD> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 03:03:07 GMT, Uri Guttman <>
    MD> wrote:

    >> i use Delete::Robin all the time. i highly recommend it.
    >>
    >> why do these dumb self-taught coders never realize how little we care
    >> about their opinions or code? is it some self-delusion that they

    MD> Dear URI,

    MD> I, for one, slightly *disagree* with you: while I find too that
    MD> most threads started by Robin are a real PITA, I don't see why *a
    MD> priori* self-taught coders' opinons/code should not be cared. Of
    MD> course it would be better if they accepted more intelligently the
    MD> suggestions they receive, but then again I, for one, am a
    MD> self-taught coder happily perling mostly everyday on a
    MD> non-professional basis *and* AFAICT you've never complained with
    MD> me like this, yet, my very first posts here were not much better
    MD> than Robin's. (I suppose!)

    the problem is that too many self taught coders don't understand the
    real issues involved (security, accuracy, effciency, etc) and just hack
    it to get what looks like some working results. i am not saying all
    self-taught coders are like this (randal schwartz surely is not) but
    without some training or peer review or a true educational curiosity and
    an open mind that is willing to learn, you get moronzilla or robin
    types. they think because something is working on the surface (and it is
    almost always web stuff today) then it must be ok. none of the real dark
    problems are understood nor addressed and of course when you bring them
    up, you get shot down as some elitest. working in the computer field
    requires a certain level of critical and structured thinking and that is
    not something everyone has. but you can get by with a little and code up
    a web page and claim you can do it and get a job. it is annoying to us
    (or me at least) that jobs are harder to find for that reason. now i am
    not for certifications but i wish there was a way to differentiate those
    who understand and know how to handle all aspects of coding and those
    who just code web stuff.

    MD> $uri->kindness->increase_by(10);
    MD> $uri->elitarism->increase_by(-10);

    and i don't think i was being elistist at all. i was just expressing my
    opinion that i am tired of robin who won't listen properly. so many
    things are still unaddressed by his code. basic fundamentals are lacking
    and just because it shows a functional web page it means to him that it
    is ok. sure for his use but don't pawn it off as something anyone else
    would want if they knew what it was. but then look at what happened to
    matt wright's scripts. thousands of kiddies used them and called
    themselves programmers. blecch.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 23, 2004
  10. Robin

    Robin Guest

    "Uri Guttman" <> wrote in message

    > MD> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 03:03:07 GMT, Uri Guttman <>
    > MD> wrote:
    >
    > >> i use Delete::Robin all the time. i highly recommend it.
    > >>
    > >> why do these dumb self-taught coders never realize how little we care
    > >> about their opinions or code? is it some self-delusion that they

    > MD> Dear URI,
    >
    > MD> I, for one, slightly *disagree* with you: while I find too that
    > MD> most threads started by Robin are a real PITA, I don't see why *a
    > MD> priori* self-taught coders' opinons/code should not be cared. Of
    > MD> course it would be better if they accepted more intelligently the
    > MD> suggestions they receive, but then again I, for one, am a
    > MD> self-taught coder happily perling mostly everyday on a
    > MD> non-professional basis *and* AFAICT you've never complained with
    > MD> me like this, yet, my very first posts here were not much better
    > MD> than Robin's. (I suppose!)
    >
    > the problem is that too many self taught coders don't understand the
    > real issues involved (security, accuracy, effciency, etc) and just hack
    > it to get what looks like some working results. i am not saying all
    > self-taught coders are like this (randal schwartz surely is not) but
    > without some training or peer review or a true educational curiosity and
    > an open mind that is willing to learn, you get moronzilla or robin
    > types. they think because something is working on the surface (and it is
    > almost always web stuff today) then it must be ok. none of the real dark
    > problems are understood nor addressed and of course when you bring them
    > up, you get shot down as some elitest. working in the computer field
    > requires a certain level of critical and structured thinking and that is
    > not something everyone has. but you can get by with a little and code up
    > a web page and claim you can do it and get a job. it is annoying to us
    > (or me at least) that jobs are harder to find for that reason. now i am
    > not for certifications but i wish there was a way to differentiate those
    > who understand and know how to handle all aspects of coding and those
    > who just code web stuff.
    >
    > MD> $uri->kindness->increase_by(10);
    > MD> $uri->elitarism->increase_by(-10);
    >
    > and i don't think i was being elistist at all. i was just expressing my
    > opinion that i am tired of robin who won't listen properly. so many
    > things are still unaddressed by his code. basic fundamentals are lacking
    > and just because it shows a functional web page it means to him that it
    > is ok. sure for his use but don't pawn it off as something anyone else
    > would want if they knew what it was. but then look at what happened to
    > matt wright's scripts. thousands of kiddies used them and called
    > themselves programmers. blecch.

    are you calling me a script kiddie? I wrote a chat server at age 17 and have
    read a lot. Maybe my code is not the most perfect code, but I'm taking the
    advice of a lot of these people here, doesn't there have to be an artistic
    liscence in code? I dunno if it's you who's hypocrite or me...
    Robin, Apr 24, 2004
  11. Robin

    Uri Guttman Guest

    R> are you calling me a script kiddie? I wrote a chat server at age 17
    R> and have read a lot. Maybe my code is not the most perfect code,
    R> but I'm taking the advice of a lot of these people here, doesn't
    R> there have to be an artistic liscence in code? I dunno if it's you
    R> who's hypocrite or me...

    i have read a lot about brain surgery. want me to work on your brain?
    was that chat server as robust and secure as the stuff you have been
    posting here? you do learn but obliquely and never on the first 3 times
    you are told how to do something. you seem to code with cutouts and not
    with a design in mind. as i said, getting something to display working
    html is not hard at all. so you did that, BFD. coding that shows you
    understand all the issues and not having to be told what they are all
    the time is another matter. even when you are told what to do and why
    you do it begrudgingly and not fully integrating in the new
    knowledge. that is what learning to code is all about. learning and
    understanding what is behind the actual code and why you make each
    coding decision. when you have that understanding you will know it and
    so will the group. my comment about self taught coders is that they
    usually come to that point much later and slower than others. coding is
    an expression of a particular style of thinking and that doesn't come
    naturally to most people. some have it, some can learn to varying
    degrees and some will never get it. getting code to run is not the goal
    but the path to it.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 24, 2004
  12. Robin

    Robin Guest

    > i have read a lot about brain surgery. want me to work on your brain?
    > was that chat server as robust and secure as the stuff you have been
    > posting here?

    Well, my code isn't all that insecure. And the chat server only crashed when
    there was bugs in the code, not when people were using it. Of course I only
    had like 4 people on it so I dunno if it would have handled a heavier load.

    you do learn but obliquely and never on the first 3 times
    > you are told how to do something. you seem to code with cutouts and not
    > with a design in mind. as i said, getting something to display working
    > html is not hard at all. so you did that, BFD. coding that shows you
    > understand all the issues and not having to be told what they are all
    > the time is another matter. even when you are told what to do and why
    > you do it begrudgingly and not fully integrating in the new
    > knowledge. that is what learning to code is all about. learning and
    > understanding what is behind the actual code and why you make each
    > coding decision. when you have that understanding you will know it and
    > so will the group. my comment about self taught coders is that they
    > usually come to that point much later and slower than others. coding is
    > an expression of a particular style of thinking and that doesn't come
    > naturally to most people. some have it, some can learn to varying
    > degrees and some will never get it. getting code to run is not the goal
    > but the path to it.

    I like this rant, I'll keep it in mind.

    --
    Regards,
    -Robin
    Robin, Apr 24, 2004
  13. Robin <> wrote:

    > are you calling me a script kiddie?

    The code you have posted here is a classic example of script kiddie code.

    I dunno if _you_ are a script kiddie, but your code sure is.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, Apr 24, 2004
  14. Robin

    Robin Guest

    "Tad McClellan" <> wrote in message
    > Robin <> wrote:
    >
    > > are you calling me a script kiddie?

    > The code you have posted here is a classic example of script kiddie code.
    >
    > I dunno if _you_ are a script kiddie, but your code sure is.

    ok.... touche.
    -Robin
    Robin, Apr 24, 2004
  15. Robin

    Uri Guttman Guest

    R> Well, my code isn't all that insecure. And the chat server only
    R> crashed when there was bugs in the code, not when people were using
    R> it. Of course I only had like 4 people on it so I dunno if it would
    R> have handled a heavier load.

    ok, this will help you. you don't have the skills (yet!?) to judge if
    your code is insecure. you have no skills in understanding basic let
    alone complex security issues. do you even understand what a race
    condition is? it has been mentioned to you and your earlier versions had
    them. moronzilla has no clue about them and likes it that way. now you
    don't have to go to school to learn about race conditions but it is an
    issue you need to understand and one of hundreds and thousands of
    others. you don't even realize how much you have yet to learn about
    programming. what you have played with is the ice cube part of the artic
    ice pack. as i said, getting something to display working behavior
    doesn't mean it is properly working. you have to learn what professional
    code really means. that includes security, performance, stability,
    maintainability, documentation, and many others.

    R> I like this rant, I'll keep it in mind.

    just keep more of the perl docs in mind. as well as a dozen or so good
    books on computer science.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 24, 2004
  16. Robin

    Robin Guest

    > R> Well, my code isn't all that insecure. And the chat server only
    > R> crashed when there was bugs in the code, not when people were using
    > R> it. Of course I only had like 4 people on it so I dunno if it would
    > R> have handled a heavier load.
    >
    > ok, this will help you. you don't have the skills (yet!?) to judge if
    > your code is insecure. you have no skills in understanding basic let
    > alone complex security issues. do you even understand what a race
    > condition is? it has been mentioned to you and your earlier versions had
    > them. moronzilla has no clue about them and likes it that way. now you
    > don't have to go to school to learn about race conditions but it is an
    > issue you need to understand and one of hundreds and thousands of
    > others. you don't even realize how much you have yet to learn about
    > programming. what you have played with is the ice cube part of the artic
    > ice pack. as i said, getting something to display working behavior
    > doesn't mean it is properly working. you have to learn what professional
    > code really means. that includes security, performance, stability,
    > maintainability, documentation, and many others.
    >
    > R> I like this rant, I'll keep it in mind.
    >
    > just keep more of the perl docs in mind. as well as a dozen or so good
    > books on computer science.
    >
    > uri

    good call,
    -Robin
    Robin, Apr 24, 2004
  17. On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:34:29 GMT, Uri Guttman <>
    wrote:

    > MD> $uri->kindness->increase_by(10);
    > MD> $uri->elitarism->increase_by(-10);
    >
    >and i don't think i was being elistist at all. i was just expressing my
    >opinion that i am tired of robin who won't listen properly.

    It was just my gut feeling. AFAICS I was not the only one... as I said
    though I do share at least (a large) part of your opinion about Robin,
    or better to say: about what he is repeatedly doing!

    Michele
    - Xah Lee trolling on clpmisc,
    Michele Dondi, Apr 25, 2004