Need a hand with design a question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Mike, Jun 1, 2004.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Here's the story.

    I have a large database which has a lot of columns. I am creating a web
    service for clients to use to insert information into this database. All
    the clients are the same and are identified by a unique 4 digit number.
    Depending on the client, different information must or must not be inserted
    into the database.

    Here is my question.

    With web services which don't support funtion overloading, should I create a
    bunch of webmethods with different names all of which accept different
    paramerters, or should I create one funtion that accepts all parameters?
    Based on the id they pass in I can check to see if they are passing in the
    right parameters.

    Am I just looking at this the wrong way? Is there a easier or more
    efficient way I should look at?

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Mike R.

    Mike, Jun 1, 2004

  2. If you have different number and type of parameters for your clients that
    means that you actually have different type of clients! So you must have
    different functions.
    It sounds strange that all your clients are different. Please explain more.

    Bojidar Alexandrov

    Bojidar Alexandrov, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Well to be more specific it is one client with many different rooms. Each
    room wants to be differnet and collect different data. I have a dynamic
    website now that displays all of the different textboxs that a certian room
    needs after they login. Some of the rooms now want to use back end
    processing instead of the webpages currently out there.

    The problem is is that there can basically be a huge amount of combinations
    of data that needs to be passed in. I can simplify it and only offer x
    number of web methods to handle all of these combinations. I was just
    wondering if there is a better/different way of looking at this.

    Mike, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Mike

    Marina Guest

    I would make 1 function, that accepts 2 parameters. The first parameter is
    the ID. The second parameter is an XML document, which has all the
    information about what needs to be inserted in an XML form.

    You can then look through the DOM, and get the appropriate data depending on
    the client.

    Marina, Jun 2, 2004