Need a hand~

Dorje

Hi, all,
I can not freely access the website of google group, so I want to know
how
to public a topic and reply a specific topic by using gmail or any
other email, many
thanks~

Andrew Poelstra

Hi, all,
I can not freely access the website of google group, so I want to know
how
to public a topic and reply a specific topic by using gmail or any
other email, many
thanks~

This is Usenet, which is a different protocal (NNTP) than email
(SMTP). Your ISP probably has a newsserver you can use to post
messages, plus there are a number of free ones on the Internet.

It is pretty hard to find a worse interface than Google's. At
the very least, others will not pretend that they "own" Usenet
and brand it using their own "Groups" service.

Dorje

This is Usenet, which is a different protocal (NNTP) than email
(SMTP). Your ISP probably has a newsserver you can use to post
messages, plus there are a number of free ones on the Internet.

It is pretty hard to find a worse interface than Google's. At
the very least, others will not pretend that they "own" Usenet
and brand it using their own "Groups" service.

Thank you for your help~

Keith Thompson

Andrew Poelstra said:
This is Usenet, which is a different protocal (NNTP) than email
(SMTP). Your ISP probably has a newsserver you can use to post
messages, plus there are a number of free ones on the Internet.

Most ISPs don't have news servers these days. But yes, there are some
good free ones (I use news.eternal-september.org; aioe.org is also
pretty good).

You'll need an NNTP client; there are a number of good free ones.
Many e-mail clients also support NNTP (Thunderbird does, for example).
It is pretty hard to find a worse interface than Google's. At
the very least, others will not pretend that they "own" Usenet
and brand it using their own "Groups" service.

Actually, there are a number of other sites that do just that. A
Google search on some topic I've posted on sometimes turns up one of
my own articles in a forum I've never heard of, with no obvious
indication that it was actually posted to Usenet.

August Karlstrom

Andrew said:
It is pretty hard to find a worse interface than Google's. At
the very least, others will not pretend that they "own" Usenet
and brand it using their own "Groups" service.

You may wonder if they consider this to be in line with the motto "Don't
be evil".

August

Andrew Poelstra

Most ISPs don't have news servers these days. But yes, there are some
good free ones (I use news.eternal-september.org; aioe.org is also
pretty good).

Hmm. I remember overhearing (over-reading?) somebody here suggesting
that someone else check his ISP for a newsserver. It turns out myISP
does have one; and had that person not suggested checking into it,
I probably wouldn't have ever known.

(I use Shaw Communications.)
You'll need an NNTP client; there are a number of good free ones.
Many e-mail clients also support NNTP (Thunderbird does, for example).

Actually, there are a number of other sites that do just that. A
Google search on some topic I've posted on sometimes turns up one of
my own articles in a forum I've never heard of, with no obvious
indication that it was actually posted to Usenet.

I've noticed that, but I'm not sure that you can actually /post/
from these "archival" sites.