    to public a topic and reply a specific topic by using gmail or any
    other email, many
    thanks~
    Dorje, Mar 30, 2010

  2. On 2010-03-30, Dorje <> wrote:
    > Hi, all,
    > I can not freely access the website of google group, so I want to know
    > how
    > to public a topic and reply a specific topic by using gmail or any
    > other email, many
    > thanks~

    This is Usenet, which is a different protocal (NNTP) than email
    (SMTP). Your ISP probably has a newsserver you can use to post
    messages, plus there are a number of free ones on the Internet.

    It is pretty hard to find a worse interface than Google's. At
    the very least, others will not pretend that they "own" Usenet
    and brand it using their own "Groups" service.

    --
    Andrew Poelstra
    http://www.wpsoftware.net/andrew
    Andrew Poelstra, Mar 30, 2010

  3. Dorje

    Dorje Guest

    On Mar 31, 12:50 am, Andrew Poelstra <>
    wrote:
    > On 2010-03-30, Dorje <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, all,
    > > I can not freely access the website of google group, so I want to know
    > > how
    > > to public a topic and reply a specific topic by using gmail or any
    > > other email, many
    > > thanks~

    > This is Usenet, which is a different protocal (NNTP) than email
    > (SMTP). Your ISP probably has a newsserver you can use to post
    > messages, plus there are a number of free ones on the Internet.
    >
    > It is pretty hard to find a worse interface than Google's. At
    > the very least, others will not pretend that they "own" Usenet
    > and brand it using their own "Groups" service.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Poelstrahttp://www.wpsoftware.net/andrew

    Thank you for your help~
    Dorje, Mar 30, 2010
  4. Andrew Poelstra <> writes:
    > On 2010-03-30, Dorje <> wrote:
    >> I can not freely access the website of google group, so I want to know
    >> how
    >> to public a topic and reply a specific topic by using gmail or any
    >> other email, many
    >> thanks~

    > This is Usenet, which is a different protocal (NNTP) than email
    > (SMTP). Your ISP probably has a newsserver you can use to post
    > messages, plus there are a number of free ones on the Internet.

    Most ISPs don't have news servers these days. But yes, there are some
    good free ones (I use news.eternal-september.org; aioe.org is also
    pretty good).

    You'll need an NNTP client; there are a number of good free ones.
    Many e-mail clients also support NNTP (Thunderbird does, for example).

    > It is pretty hard to find a worse interface than Google's. At
    > the very least, others will not pretend that they "own" Usenet
    > and brand it using their own "Groups" service.

    Actually, there are a number of other sites that do just that. A
    Google search on some topic I've posted on sometimes turns up one of
    my own articles in a forum I've never heard of, with no obvious
    indication that it was actually posted to Usenet.

    Nokia
    Keith Thompson, Mar 30, 2010
  5. Andrew Poelstra wrote:
    > It is pretty hard to find a worse interface than Google's. At
    > the very least, others will not pretend that they "own" Usenet
    > and brand it using their own "Groups" service.

    You may wonder if they consider this to be in line with the motto "Don't
    be evil".

    August
    August Karlstrom, Mar 30, 2010
  6. On 2010-03-30, Keith Thompson <> wrote:
    > Andrew Poelstra <> writes:
    >> On 2010-03-30, Dorje <> wrote:
    >>> I can not freely access the website of google group, so I want to know
    >>> how
    >>> to public a topic and reply a specific topic by using gmail or any
    >>> other email, many
    >>> thanks~

    >> This is Usenet, which is a different protocal (NNTP) than email
    >> (SMTP). Your ISP probably has a newsserver you can use to post
    >> messages, plus there are a number of free ones on the Internet.

    > Most ISPs don't have news servers these days. But yes, there are some
    > good free ones (I use news.eternal-september.org; aioe.org is also
    > pretty good).

    Hmm. I remember overhearing (over-reading?) somebody here suggesting
    that someone else check his ISP for a newsserver. It turns out myISP
    does have one; and had that person not suggested checking into it,
    I probably wouldn't have ever known.

    (I use Shaw Communications.)

    > You'll need an NNTP client; there are a number of good free ones.
    > Many e-mail clients also support NNTP (Thunderbird does, for example).
    >
    >> It is pretty hard to find a worse interface than Google's. At
    >> the very least, others will not pretend that they "own" Usenet
    >> and brand it using their own "Groups" service.

    > Actually, there are a number of other sites that do just that. A
    > Google search on some topic I've posted on sometimes turns up one of
    > my own articles in a forum I've never heard of, with no obvious
    > indication that it was actually posted to Usenet.

    I've noticed that, but I'm not sure that you can actually /post/
    from these "archival" sites.

    Andrew Poelstra, Mar 30, 2010