need a new Java Editor, netbeans isnt cutting it.

Justin

I have two laptops, both have intel centrino duo processors, both run
on XP Media Center edition, one a 1gig ram, the other 2gigs.
Currently, I use Netbeans to write code. Today, I was using the faster
laptop, I've been coding for about 6 hours, and NetBeans has crashed
twice. To me, that's unnacceptable. What are recommendations for
editors to hack code?

Thanks

Furious George

Justin said:
I have two laptops, both have intel centrino duo processors, both run
on XP Media Center edition, one a 1gig ram, the other 2gigs.
Currently, I use Netbeans to write code. Today, I was using the faster
laptop, I've been coding for about 6 hours, and NetBeans has crashed
twice. To me, that's unnacceptable. What are recommendations for
editors to hack code?

Thanks

emacs is very stable.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Justin said:
I have two laptops, both have intel centrino duo processors, both run
on XP Media Center edition, one a 1gig ram, the other 2gigs.
Currently, I use Netbeans to write code. Today, I was using the faster
laptop, I've been coding for about 6 hours, and NetBeans has crashed
twice. To me, that's unnacceptable. What are recommendations for
editors to hack code?

Have you tried Eclipse ?

Arne

Knute Johnson

Justin said:
I have two laptops, both have intel centrino duo processors, both run
on XP Media Center edition, one a 1gig ram, the other 2gigs.
Currently, I use Netbeans to write code. Today, I was using the faster
laptop, I've been coding for about 6 hours, and NetBeans has crashed
twice. To me, that's unnacceptable. What are recommendations for
editors to hack code?

Thanks

I like Vim.

David Segall

Justin said:
I have two laptops, both have intel centrino duo processors, both run
on XP Media Center edition, one a 1gig ram, the other 2gigs.
Currently, I use Netbeans to write code. Today, I was using the faster
laptop, I've been coding for about 6 hours, and NetBeans has crashed
twice. To me, that's unnacceptable. What are recommendations for
editors to hack code?
Which version of NetBeans are you using?

Lionel

David said:
Which version of NetBeans are you using?

This is a good question. Netbeans has /never/ crashed on me! I've been
using it since 3.x.

The problem may be elsewhere or you may be using a beta version.

Lionel.

kylevasatka

I second the vote for Eclipse. The interface is great and so is the
support for it. It also helps you out a lot when it comes to error
messages, warnings, etc. The "Quick Fix" option is handy for
debugging. Also, there are a lot of add-ons for Eclipse that makes
coding and documentation a lot easier. USE ECLIPSE, YOU WILL LIKE IT!

kylevasatka

Aside from setting up where you want your workspace to be (where to
save to) and what directories to create projects in, there's no setup
required. It's very easy to use...it's fast...and it rarely gives me
trouble.

C Student

I second the vote for Eclipse. The interface is great and so is the
support for it. It also helps you out a lot when it comes to error
messages, warnings, etc. The "Quick Fix" option is handy for
debugging. Also, there are a lot of add-ons for Eclipse that makes
coding and documentation a lot easier. USE ECLIPSE, YOU WILL LIKE IT!

Is it just me or does eclipse require a lot of stuffing around to get
working? netbeans just works out of the box.

kylevasatka

If you are typing out a class name and looking to find the methods
contained within that class, an "autocomplete" type box will pop up,
for example if you were typing "System." a box would pop up showing all
the methods for the System class. So the Java API is basically there
for you "on the fly". As far as plugins go...they are basically like
Firefox extensions if you are familiar with those. Yes you may have to
download plugins for extended functionalities, but they should be
self-installing and self-configuring.

C Student

Aside from setting up where you want your workspace to be (where to
save to) and what directories to create projects in, there's no setup
required. It's very easy to use...it's fast...and it rarely gives me
trouble.

Ok so you don't need to manually install a ton of different plugins to
get a working ide with gui editors and the like. Thats good I haven't
looked at it in a while when I last looked at it I couldn't get it to
work.

Also is it possible to search the java documentation from within
eclipse. netbeans seems to support it but I can't get it to work.

also is it possible to press f1 on a command and have documentation
pop up for that command?

Michael Rauscher

C said:
Ok so you don't need to manually install a ton of different plugins to
get a working ide with gui editors and the like. Thats good I haven't
looked at it in a while when I last looked at it I couldn't get it to work.

I think it doesn't matter much which IDE one uses - to me it's just a
matter of taste. I prefer NetBeans over Eclipse but perhaps this is just
because Eclipse *was* very slow when I tried it first on Linux. Eclipse
has the advantage of an incremental compiler (I don't like this feature,
so I disabled automatic building in Eclipse).
Also is it possible to search the java documentation from within
eclipse. netbeans seems to support it but I can't get it to work.

Shift-F1 opens the Javadoc Index Search. NetBeans automatically looks
after the word you were located.

Another possibility is to use Alt-F1 which opens the Javadoc in an
external browser.
also is it possible to press f1 on a command and have documentation pop
up for that command?

Press Ctrl-Space to get the code completion window. NetBeans
automatically pops up the JavaDoc for the selected class or method.

If you don't receive any of the documentation then I'd guess you didn't
specify the location of the Javadocs (properly).

Open Tools->Platform Manager, select the platform you're working with
and go to the Javadoc tab. Press the "Add ZIP/Folder" button and select
either the ZIP file that contains the JDK Javadocs or the directory...

Bye
Michael

Lionel

I second the vote for Eclipse. The interface is great and so is the
support for it. It also helps you out a lot when it comes to error
messages, warnings, etc. The "Quick Fix" option is handy for
debugging. Also, there are a lot of add-ons for Eclipse that makes
coding and documentation a lot easier. USE ECLIPSE, YOU WILL LIKE IT!

I didn't first it :). The two IDE's are much and muchness.

Lionel.

Lionel

Michael said:
I think it doesn't matter much which IDE one uses - to me it's just a
matter of taste.

I agree.

I prefer NetBeans over Eclipse but perhaps this is just
because Eclipse *was* very slow when I tried it first on Linux. Eclipse
has the advantage of an incremental compiler (I don't like this feature,
so I disabled automatic building in Eclipse).

I had a similar experience. First time I tried Eclipse it was just a
tar.gz and I couldn't get it to run. Second time I tried Eclipse was on
Redhat (which must be the worst of the distro's despite it's popularity)
and it was so incredibly slow, Eclipse was incredibly memory hungry that
there was no way of doing anything. Third time I tried it was tolerable
but after looking around for a few minutes I decided there wasn't going
to be anything special and I may as well not waste my time learning a
new IDE.

Lionel.

adwords

I think you'll love Eclipse at www.eclipse.org

IRAD is pretty awesome too, if you can get version 6.1. Of course, it
does have a price tag.

There are lots of great plugins for eclipse though.

-Cameron McKenzie
Author of the SCJA Certification Guide and What is WebSphere?

Certification Resources: www.examscam.com
Free WebSphere Tutorials: www.pulpjava.com
Free Mock Java Certification Exams: www.scja.com
Free J2EE and Java Multimedia Tutorials: www.mcnz.com