Need advice/experiences concerning mass e-mail components

Ken Fine

I'm going to have a need to send out about 30,000 e-mail messages regularly
to addresses that reside in a list/database. (not spam :)

Because of insitutional infrastructure issues on the +receiving+ side, I
need to space out the sends: say, send 500 messages, pause ten minutes, send
another 500, until the full list of 30,000 is complete.

I'm either going to code this myself, or buy a component that does this for
me. Can anyone advise me of a component that can deliberately slow down the
processing/sending of an e-mail job? The SMTP stuff will reside on our
end.

I'm using ASP and IIS. ASP.NET is an option.

-KF

PL

I'm either going to code this myself, or buy a component that does this for
me. Can anyone advise me of a component that can deliberately slow down the
processing/sending of an e-mail job? The SMTP stuff will reside on our
end.

Why not just queue them into a database and schedule a .vbs script to send
them out with the scheduler in windows.

I wrote a system like that for a company, it sends about 1500 emails every
15 minutes divided up over four different smtp servers.

PL.

MePadre

Take a look at Persits ASP Email (www.aspemail.com). This
mail component allows you to specify the time that you
would like the mail sent after sending it to the queue.
For instance, you can loop through the DB and tell the
first 500 to go immediately, tell the second 500 to go in
Now() + 15 minutes, etc, etc.

Additionally, it comes with the Email Agent that acts like
a queue so you can loop through the 30,000 records in no
time without waiting for each record to connect to the
SMTP server. Simply send it to the queue to complete the
page processing quickly.