Need advice on technology/architecture

Discussion in 'Java' started by Droolboy, Jul 29, 2004.

  1. Droolboy

    Droolboy Guest

    Hi,

    I'm about to start building a simple invoicing system for internal
    use, and am leaning towards using Java in some form. Thing is, there
    are so many ways it could be done, I'm having a hard time deciding.

    Should I make a thick Swing-based application talking directly to the
    db? A server-based app with a thinner Swing gui? Use
    JSP/Servlets/Struts/Tapestry? Will Java Server Faces do me any good?
    JSF + NetBeans = RAD GUI-developement for the web?

    I'm not familiar with JSF, nor any web frameworks (do have decent
    knowledge on JSP/Servlets, though), but recon this is as good a time
    as any for learning.

    EJBs, Web Services, XML/XSLT/whatever are completely uncharted
    territory to me, and probably way overkill..?

    I know there are already dozens of solutions for invoicing, but
    purpose of this project is mostly about keeping me busy for the
    remainder of my internship, as well as learning something and making
    my cv look better ;)

    Also, would anyone care to make some estimates on how long this should
    take? Figure I'll need a basic customer database, a list of the stuff
    we charge for, forms for creating and following up on invoices, as
    well as a few reports for accounting purposes.

    Any feedback appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,
    Espen

    (Already posted this message to the comp.lang.java newsgroup, but as
    that one seems deprecated.. Sorry for any inconvenience.)

    Droolboy, Jul 29, 2004

  2. Droolboy

    Jacob Guest

    Droolboy wrote:

    > I'm about to start building a simple invoicing system for internal
    > use, and am leaning towards using Java in some form. Thing is, there
    > are so many ways it could be done, I'm having a hard time deciding.
    >
    > Should I make a thick Swing-based application talking directly to the
    > db? A server-based app with a thinner Swing gui? Use
    > JSP/Servlets/Struts/Tapestry? Will Java Server Faces do me any good?
    > JSF + NetBeans = RAD GUI-developement for the web?
    >
    > I'm not familiar with JSF, nor any web frameworks (do have decent
    > knowledge on JSP/Servlets, though), but recon this is as good a time
    > as any for learning.
    >
    > EJBs, Web Services, XML/XSLT/whatever are completely uncharted
    > territory to me, and probably way overkill..?

    KISS. Skip the fancy technology. If this is a "simple" invoicing
    system make a simple single executable app. Make sure you create a
    sound data model implementation, a distinct data access layer
    (for data model <-> DB communication) and a distinct Swing GUI
    (for data model <-> user communication).
    For a "simple" invoicing system, you'll be fine with JDBC for DB
    communication will suffice. Create the DB access layer as a library,
    then you can reuse it later in different applications.

    Estimate: 2-3 months. But beware: As soon something is running it
    might seem like a good idea to add feature A, and then B and then...

    My biggest concern with the technology you are listing is that you
    loose sight of the solution you're about to make and instead are
    burdnened with lots and lots of technical issues (read: problems).
    This is my own experience anyway.

    Jacob, Jul 29, 2004