Need advice on which technology for web consumer

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tony Girgenti, Sep 11, 2006.

  1. Hello.

    I'm new to all of this. I developed a web consuming windows
    application/form program with VS.NET 2003, VB, .Net Framework 1.1.4322,
    ASP.NET 1.1.4322, IIS 5.1.

    I started converting it to an ASP.NET Web Application because i thought it
    would be neater to have the explorer interface.

    However, it has become quite a learning experience trying to understand how
    web forms work as compared to a windows form.

    Is it better to have a web form based program for web consuming over a
    standard windows form based program ?

    The only thing that attracted me to Web forms, is the ability to run the
    program from one location and not have to install it on each machine that
    needs it.

    I'm not opposed to the additional learning curve if some benefit is derived.

    Any replies would be gratefully appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Tony

    Tony Girgenti, Sep 11, 2006

  2. Hi,

    In general you are better off with a web application, you can run it
    from anywhere, even a computer in an other country and your users can
    also run it from Mac and Linux computers, not just Windows. You also get
    the superior features and rendering of Mozilla FireFox to play with, but
    your app can degrade gracefully for IE7. You also don't have to worry
    about users having Admin rights to install the app and the maintenance
    thereof. You also don't have to manage versions - the web app is ALWAYS
    the latest version.

    WinForms are pretty much dead anyway, and it's now XAML and Avalon, but
    the trouble is you have to keep re-writing the app each time Microsoft
    change the UI technology.

    Unfortunately, Visual Studio is not very well suited to web apps; they
    try to make it seem like a Windows app which is a mistake. The best way
    to create a web app is to use open-source tools and open-standards
    techniques. In general it's much quicker this way because you lose all
    the bloat, limitations and dependencies of the .NET framework, and you
    can also run your app on different kinds of servers, not just Windows.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

    Gerry Hickman, Sep 11, 2006

  3. Tony Girgenti

    schneider Guest

    No, web apps have all different issues......

    Truth is, use what works best for the need.

    I have seen web technology change more in web apps than windows apps. Try to
    keep the UI seperate from the business logic, then just add whatever UI on
    top as needed.

    Schneider

    schneider, Sep 11, 2006
  4. Hi,

    schneider wrote:
    > No, web apps have all different issues......
    >
    > Truth is, use what works best for the need.
    >
    > I have seen web technology change more in web apps than windows apps. Try to
    > keep the UI seperate from the business logic, then just add whatever UI on
    > top as needed.
    >
    > Schneider

    I agree. With the coming of WPF and XBAPs, a 3rd type of applications is
    likely to become extremely popular in the near future: RIAs or Rich
    Internet Applications. They already exist, but with .NET 3.0 installed
    on every Vista machine, and XAML growing very popular soon, it will be
    yet another choice for the user. However I do not believe that they will
    kill ASP.NET (Microsoft also doesn't believe so, or else it wouldn't
    have invested that much in ATLAS), and each use case will need to be
    carefully evaluated, and the appropriate type of application developed.

    The next years will be very exciting.

    HTH,
    Laurent
    --