    The client now wants a 2nd website that is 80% similar to the first.

    I would prefer to maintain "common code" in 1 place and avoid redudancy. Do
    you have any suggestions as to how to approach this new website?
    Bobby Edward, Apr 14, 2009

  2. Not sure why my other answer is not appearing for me, but I will state again
    in shorthand.

    Refactor the dupes into core libraries that are used across both projects.
    Do thsi as you find them. Hopefully you have unit tests around all of your
    functionality, so you can make sure the refactor does not cause issues and
    you should be under source control.

    The other option is to branch code, but you still end up with two code
    bases, which is not good. You can merge later, if that is the direction, but
    refactoring to common libs is better.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Blog:

    | Think outside the box |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Apr 14, 2009

  3. Bobby Edward

    sloan Guest

    80% of the BLL is the same?
    or 80% of the webpages are the same?

    While alot of people say " I have a true BLL ", alot of times things have
    been coded into the presentation layer that doesn't belong there.
    My general rule of thumb "If I had to make a winforms application of this
    same product...would I have to duplicate that code in the winforms
    presentation layer?"
    So push everything you can DOWN to the BLL.

    I would recommend a used copy of this book:
    http://www.google.com/products/cata...n&cid=1483841699545751105&sa=title#ps-sellers

    Its 1.1. You don't want it for the code samples.
    You want it for the discussion for the mindset of how to develop intermal
    frameworks.

    sloan, Apr 14, 2009
  4. Bobby Edward

    Bobby Edward Guest

    Both. :)

    Bobby Edward, Apr 15, 2009
  5. Bobby Edward

    Bobby Edward Guest

    Thanks. I'm not sure what refactoring is but I will research it. Thanks
    again!

    message news:...

    Bobby Edward, Apr 15, 2009
  6. On Apr 14, 3:15 am, "Bobby Edward" <> wrote:
    > I have a large APS.NET website with 3 tiers (BLL, DAL, UI).
    >
    > The client now wants a 2nd website that is 80% similar to the first.
    >
    > I would prefer to maintain "common code" in 1 place and avoid redudancy.  Do
    > you have any suggestions as to how to approach this new website?

    I think, it would depend on how the second project would go. Say, you
    would need to add a function to the second project which does not
    exist, or overcomplicate the first one. I would prefer to maintain
    "common code" too.
    Alexey Smirnov, Apr 15, 2009