Need better solution to export from sql server to multiple worksheets in excel in vb.net app

Nik

I have a VB.NET Web application. I have to export data from SQL Server
to excel. I have 3 Select statements and the results need to go in 3
separate worksheets and the column headers of the sheets are dynamic
i.e. they change according to user criteria.

Currently I am using SQL Server-'OPENDATASource' to export to Excel
and prior to calling opendatasource I use excel automation in vb.net
to create an excel file and write the column headers. This is because
opendatasource expects column headers to be present in the sheet.

2 problems:-
1) It is slow
2) It seems like I have to have excel installed on the server for
excel automation to work, otherwise it gives me 'Cannot create ActiveX
Component'. I do not want to install excel on the server due to
security reasons.

Is there a better way to approach the above scenario? Any help is
appreciated.

Thank you
Nik

Joined
Mar 21, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
vb.net Exporting DataSet Tables to Excel Without Inter Op

I have a C# class that does this using a string Writer and xml. Once I get it converted I will post it here.