Need books to help study and begin to learn ASP.net

Daniel

We are looking at slowly transitioning old ASP code and apps to ASP.net....

So before we begin, can anyone suggestion a good set of books to purchase
that we can start reviewing?

Some have mentioned Microsoft Press step by step books, which has helped us
with SQL2005.... so just wanted to get some feed back on good books to get
for ASP.net...

I personally have already purchased Microsoft Press step by step ASP.net
book... but im sure there are more out there...

Mike

asp.net unleashed is a good one as well.
it covers code in both vb and C#

It covers a broad range of things as well.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Larry Bud

We are looking at slowly transitioning old ASP code and apps to ASP.net....

So before we begin, can anyone suggestion a good set of books to purchase
that we can start reviewing?

Professional ASP.NET 2.0 by WROX publishing.

Larry Bud

Best advice I can give you with that is not to consider ASP.NET in any way
as somehow the "next version" of ASP - they are almost totally different
because of the .NET Framework...

Well, true, however much of the same mindset comes into play as far as
navigation, query strings, forms, etc. I think anyone who has done
ASP has an advantage over those who haven't when it comes to ASP.NET.

If Microsoft doesn't want a relation made, they shouldn't have called
it ASP.NET.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Well, true, however much of the same mindset comes into play as far as
navigation, query strings, forms, etc.

Yes, but that's really just basic HTML...
I think anyone who has done ASP has an advantage over those who haven't
when it comes to ASP.NET.

I don't think that's necessarily true - I've seen people trying to reference
ADO via COMInterop because they had just assumed that's how to interface
with databases in ASP.NET...

Mick Walker

Larry said:
Professional ASP.NET 2.0 by WROX publishing.
I second Larry on this recommendation. I have the full series of WROX
books from ADO.Net,ASP.Net,Custom Controls, Security Membership and Role
management and the SQL Server 2005 series; and I find the manner in
which the content is delivered to be far superior to the Microsoft Press
books (Especially those by Dino E).
I find myself referring to them on a daily basis.