    will still allow me to compile a DOS executable?

    Regards, Darren

    , May 22, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > I have just inherited some embedded software that was compiled with
    > Borland 4.52. I need to either purchase that compiler, which Borland
    > no longer appear to sell or alternatively source an upgrade/compatible
    > compiler. Do Borland sell a newer version of the 4.52 compiler that
    > will still allow me to compile a DOS executable?

    Why don't you ask Borland?

    Victor Bazarov, May 22, 2006

  3. Alex Buell Guest

    On 22 May 2006 08:52:16 -0700, I waved a wand and this message
    magically appeared from :

    > I have just inherited some embedded software that was compiled with
    > Borland 4.52. I need to either purchase that compiler, which Borland
    > no longer appear to sell or alternatively source an upgrade/compatible
    > compiler. Do Borland sell a newer version of the 4.52 compiler that
    > will still allow me to compile a DOS executable?

    Try Borland's software museum.
    --
    http://www.munted.org.uk

    Take a nap, it saves lives.

    Alex Buell, May 22, 2006
  4. AFAIK 4.52 is the last compiler borland made which was compatible with
    DOS, and to use it to its full extent (e.g. to get full access to DPMI and
    DOS functionality) you had to buy an add-on of some sort. I can't
    remember what the addon is called and a brief look didn't turn it up on my
    disk. BTW I did successfully get BCC5.0 to compile DOS programs, but they
    had officially stopped supporting DOS by then and there were some tricks
    involved. I never bothered with the latest BCC5.5 they've released as
    free software for windows. It probably won't work because they wrote a
    new linker...

    You could try another compiler (GCC or I've written a C compiler called
    CC386) but one problem you are going to face is that Borland's compiler
    and DOS runtime system is really a wrapper around a subset of the Win32
    API. While there is one DOS/DPMI subsystem that followed suit, I'm not
    sure of the compatibility between the borland runtime system and the
    mentioned DPMI subsystem.

    Assuming the author of your program didn't actually use any WIn32 function
    calls, you may still have various problems porting to other compilers; for
    example GCC exposes DPMI compatible functions differently than borland
    did, and also borland did something which is somewhat incompatible with
    other DPMI systems. Microsoft halted at DPMI 0.9 years ago, and most of
    the DPMI clone packages for DOS follow microsoft's lead... but borland
    went on to create something called DPMI 1.0 which AFAIK is the only such
    implementation in existance. I am not entirely sure of compatibility
    issues... but DPMI 1.0 seemed to use 32-bit registers for transfers to and
    from the DPMI subsystem, whereas DPMI 0.9 sometimes uses pairs of 16-bit
    registers for the same transfers.

    Of course if your program uses neither WIN32 or DPMI, it may not be too
    difficult to replace the Borland compiler altogether. However, I'm not
    sure how well GCC handles 32-bit psuedo-calls using interrupts similar to
    the 16-bit DOS and BIOS traps, if your program uses that. Another problem
    is that the C++ standard has changed and there are differences between
    4.52 and later standards-conforming compilers... so choosing a later
    compiler could break some aspects of existing C++ code.

    David

    David Lindauer, May 24, 2006
  5. David Lindauer wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I have just inherited some embedded software that was compiled with
    > > Borland 4.52. I need to either purchase that compiler, which Borland
    > > no longer appear to sell or alternatively source an upgrade/compatible
    > > compiler. Do Borland sell a newer version of the 4.52 compiler that
    > > will still allow me to compile a DOS executable?

    > AFAIK [...]

    Please try to keep the discussions topical. See
    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9 for more
    informations about topicality in comp.lang.c++.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Mcdougall, May 24, 2006