Need cleanup advice for multiline string

Carl Banks

Well, I'm sorry to see this, it means I was wrong about the lack of
sexism in the Python community.

Oh come on, one newbie making an off-color joke is not any sort of
reflection of the community as a whole.

Anyway it's pretty naive to expect what is now a large community to
avoid bad eggs altogether. Price you pay for popularity.

Carl Banks

Chris Rebert

Oh come on, one newbie making an off-color joke is not any sort of
reflection of the community as a whole.

Anyway it's pretty naive to expect what is now a large community to
avoid bad eggs altogether.  Price you pay for popularity.

Agreed on both points, but the lack of any reprimanding for making
said inappropriate joke /would/ reflect badly on the community.
Fortunately, said person's behavior has now been condemned by virtue
of this thread; it's a step in the right direction.

Cheers,
Chris

John Machin

It's a figure of speech. And besides, why would I want programming
advice from a woman? lol. Thanks for the help.

Please consider having an attitude transplant.

Carl Banks

I also like how making an amusing pointless observation gets people
all huffy.

(BTW, lest anyone is not aware, that is the origin of the word "guy",
this was not some random association.)

Carl Banks

Mensanator

I also like how making an amusing pointless observation

Pointless, yes, but what was amusing abot the observation?
gets people all huffy.

That wasn't huffy. You want to see huffy, make a wisecrack
comparing mothballs to Zyklon B, you'll REALLY get a load
of huffy replies.
(BTW, lest anyone is not aware, that is the origin of the word "guy",

It most certainly is not. Maybe the origin of that
word's useage as a genric reference to a male, but
you didn't say that.
this was not some random association.)

Penny for the guy?

Steven D'Aprano

Agreed on both points, but the lack of any reprimanding for making said
inappropriate joke /would/ reflect badly on the community. Fortunately,
said person's behavior has now been condemned by virtue of this thread;
it's a step in the right direction.

Pardon me, but he has been slapped, a number of times. Check the original
thread, you'll see that the OP was slapped for his stupid joke, then
slapped again for another dismissive comment after the first reprimand.

You might argue he wasn't slapped *enough*, but that's another story.
Personally, I thought he was either trolling for a reaction, or he was an
old-fuddy-duddy (regardless of biological age), and either way reacting
to his comments would just draw attention to something which is best
dealt with with a cold-shoulder. Reinforce the good behaviour, shun the
bad.

The comments were made a week ago -- why the sudden flurry of attention?

Carl Banks

Pointless, yes, but what was amusing abot the observation?

The irony that in being friendly that you're calling someone a
terrorist. I guess I shouldn't have expected you to get it.

That wasn't huffy. You want to see huffy, make a wisecrack
comparing mothballs to Zyklon B, you'll REALLY get a load
of huffy replies.

It most certainly is not.

My dictionary disagrees with you.

Maybe the origin of that
word's useage as a genric reference to a male, but
you didn't say that.

Penny for the guy?

Probably that phrase was part of the word's gradual common adoption.

Carl Banks

Steven D'Aprano

I also like how making an amusing pointless observation gets people all
huffy.

(BTW, lest anyone is not aware, that is the origin of the word "guy",
this was not some random association.)

Yes, apparently the slang term "guy" for "man" (and these days, "person")
was derived from Guy Fawkes:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-guy1.htm

but the name itself is much older, and comes from Old German for "wood"
or "warrior". In old French, it was "Gy", and in Italian (and presumably
Dutch) it is "Guido".

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Guy
http://www.blurtit.com/q113276.html

You'll also note that "guy" the noun has a number of meanings:

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=guy

I don't know if there's any point to all this, but it's interesting, even
if off-topic.

Steven D'Aprano

The irony that in being friendly that you're calling someone a
terrorist.

Please, the term is Freedom Fighter.

I guess I shouldn't have expected you to get it.

Ouch! Nasty!

Is there something in the air today? People are short-tempered and
grouchy all over the place...

Steven D'Aprano

I didn't get Carl's reference. The only thing I know about blowing the
parliament is from the movie V for Vendetta (no comment please !). Now
thanks to your link:
"In 18th-century England, the term "guy" was used to refer to an effigy
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effigy> of Fawkes, which would be paraded
around town by children on the anniversary of the conspiracy"

Well, my knowledge is much too low to get this kind of reference from
the start. :-/

"Guy" is an old English name, related to the old French name "Gy" and
Italian "Guido". It's originally derived from the Old German for "wood"
or "warrior".

After Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the English Parliament house, and was
executed, the British government encouraged people to burn effigies of
him. These became known as "guys", which eventually became slang for an
ugly man, which later became slang for any man, and in recent years, any
person.

So the irony is that the friendly term "guys", referring to a group of
people, is derived from the name of an 18th century religious terrorist.

One can only wonder whether in 200 years time people will walk into the
office and say "Hey you osamas, they're giving away free donuts down
stairs, anyone want some?"

Steven D'Aprano

Here my English fails me - flog as in "whip", or flog as in "sell"?

Almost certainly "flog" as in sell.

But not literally sell, for money, but sell in the sense of convincing
others it is a good list to join.

Steve Holden

Robert Dailey:
[...]
It's a figure of speech. And besides, why would I want programming
advice from a woman? lol. Thanks for the help.

Sorry, Robert, simply not acceptable. Whether designed to be funny or
not it's the kind of inane remark I would be really happy never to see
again.

The problem is that we can't just "let these things go by" all the
time (even though we aren't discussing a major crime here). If we do
that it encourages (at best) an atmosphere of complacency and a
feeling that it's OK to demean people in Python forums. I'd really
like to see those *not* get a hold.

regards
Steve

Jean-Michel Pichavant

Steve said:
Robert Dailey:
[...]

It's a figure of speech. And besides, why would I want programming
advice from a woman? lol. Thanks for the help.

Sorry, Robert, simply not acceptable. Whether designed to be funny or
not it's the kind of inane remark I would be really happy never to see
again.

The problem is that we can't just "let these things go by" all the
time (even though we aren't discussing a major crime here). If we do
that it encourages (at best) an atmosphere of complacency and a
feeling that it's OK to demean people in Python forums. I'd really
like to see those *not* get a hold.

regards
Steve
Did you read the original post (this is an old one) ? Because quoting a
joke out of its context is totally unfair.
Anyway the hysteria that is surrounding this thread is just amazing. I'm
waiting for more.

JM

Simon Forman

Steve said:
Robert Dailey:

[...]

It's a figure of speech. And besides, why would I want programming
advice from a woman? lol. Thanks for the help.

Sorry, Robert, simply not acceptable. Whether designed to be funny or
not it's the kind of inane remark I would be really happy never to see
again.

The problem is that we can't just "let these things go by" all the
time (even though we aren't discussing a major crime here). If we do
that it encourages (at best) an atmosphere of complacency and a
feeling that it's OK to demean people in Python forums. I'd really
like to see those *not* get a hold.

regards
 Steve

Did you read the original post (this is an old one) ? Because quoting a joke
out of its context is totally unfair.

Unfair to whom?

In any event, the context here seems to be a mixture of Guy Fawkes
trivia and general disapproval of sexist remarks on c.l.p, so I don't
see this comment as "out of context".

(For the record, I use "guys" to refer to groups of people regardless
of their gender. I also use "dude" to refer to people regardless of
their gender. The only person who has taken offense to this is my
mom. "I am not a dude." But she means she's not a cowboy, not not a
male.) (Uh, she is, in fact, female.)
Anyway the hysteria that is surrounding this thread is just amazing. I'm
waiting for more.

I don't feel hysterical, only appalled.

The OP used a common slang term, someone mentioned that the term
implies a group of males when in fact the group being addressed is
mixed gender, and the OP replied that it was "just a figure of
speech".

So far, so good. But then the OP made a sexist "joke". He was called
on it and issued a rather gracious apology, but then he dropped
another sexist turd right in the middle of his otherwise model
apology.

I won't speak for anyone else, but I was appalled.

Sexism, racism, homophobia, religious intolerance, etc., all stem from
a fundamental forgetfulness of our Unity in God (as I would put it)
and this is perhaps the single greatest cause of human misery.

We are one family.

Emile van Sebille

On 8/18/2009 2:31 PM Unknown said...
You mean the single greatest cause of human misery isn't
Microsoft Windows?

Either that or users...

Sick-of-both-today-ly y'rs,

Emile

Steven D'Aprano

Sexism, racism, homophobia, religious intolerance, etc., all stem from a
fundamental forgetfulness of our Unity in God (as I would put it) and

Of the tens of thousands of Gods that people have invented, which is the
one we're supposed to believe in? I always forget which ones we're
supposed to dismiss as nonsense, and which one we're not.

this is perhaps the single greatest cause of human misery.

Okay, we're Unified in God. Great. What does that actually mean, really?
In the struggle to survive in a world of shortages, disease, natural
disasters and disputes between well-meaning but incompatible viewpoints
(to say nothing of the selfish and greedy), what practical difference
does it make?