Need css & graphics help..will pay good money

Bob

Hello folks.

I'm getting ready to launch a web site...it's a "dating" website
strictly for the Dublin, Ireland area.

My friends are telling me I need to enhance my site...make it visually
more appealing.

I don't want a lot of heavy graphics.....just some simple CSS features
to improve the look.

I'm not looking for a free lunch, I'll pay whatever I need to
pay......but again....I want simplicity....the page now has a lot of
whitespace and I want to keep it that way.

I guess what I need is a REAL artist...someone who can take a web page
and make it look great without using "Hollywood" type special effects,
ect.

Here's the URL, see what you can do with it.

http://www.DublinFriendMaker.Com/

Let me know what you think.

Bob Sweeney

Travis Newbury

Bob said:
I'm getting ready to launch a web site...it's a "dating" website
strictly for the Dublin, Ireland area.
My friends are telling me I need to enhance my site...make it visually
more appealing.

Your friends are right.
I don't want a lot of heavy graphics.....just some simple CSS features
to improve the look.

Look at similar sucessful sites. See what they do. You probably want
to follow the lead of someone sucessfull.

Bob

Travis.....thanks for taking the time to respond and thanks for the
good advice.

Can I take a quick look at some of your websites?

Thanks

Bob

dorayme

Travis Newbury said:
Your friends are right.

Look at similar sucessful sites. See what they do. You probably want
to follow the lead of someone sucessfull.

Geez Travis!

dorayme

Bob said:
Hello folks.

I'm getting ready to launch a web site...it's a "dating" website
strictly for the Dublin, Ireland area.

My friends are telling me I need to enhance my site...make it visually
more appealing.

I don't want a lot of heavy graphics.....just some simple CSS features
to improve the look.

I'm not looking for a free lunch, I'll pay whatever I need to
pay......but again....I want simplicity....the page now has a lot of
whitespace and I want to keep it that way.

I guess what I need is a REAL artist...someone who can take a web page
and make it look great without using "Hollywood" type special effects,
ect.

Here's the URL, see what you can do with it.

http://www.DublinFriendMaker.Com/

Let me know what you think.

Bob Sweeney

Have you contacted local designers? There would have to be many
good ones in Dublin, who know the city and would have a head
start for this reason alone.

It is not the lack of any real artist that makes your page so
awful, it is the lack of any sense of design (in web design this
is a different thing). Clearly, all the borders are a dreadful
mistake, including the double red one. So is the blind adherence
to centering all (you even centre text that explains things at
some length in pop outs). So, what I am saying is look for a web
designer whose work you like in the Dublin area, not necessarily
one that is any kind of "real artist".

Richard Sexton

It is not the lack of any real artist that makes your page so
awful, it is the lack of any sense of design (in web design this
is a different thing). Clearly, all the borders are a dreadful
mistake, including the double red one. So is the blind adherence
to centering all (you even centre text that explains things at
some length in pop outs). So, what I am saying is look for a web
designer whose work you like in the Dublin area, not necessarily
one that is any kind of "real artist".

Good plan. If only you could hook up with some new friend in Dublin.
I think there's a site like that but it's name escapes me at the
moment.

David Segall

My friends are telling me I need to enhance my site...make it visually
more appealing.

I don't want a lot of heavy graphics.....just some simple CSS features
to improve the look.

I'm not looking for a free lunch, I'll pay whatever I need to
pay......but again....I want simplicity....the page now has a lot of
whitespace and I want to keep it that way.
You and your friends are right but I can only suggest a free lunch.
Well, actually two of them. First go to http://www.oswd.org/ and, with
the aid of your friends, choose one of the open source designs there.
The advanced search function allows you to insist on one using CSS.
Cut and paste the contents of your site into the template but use the
text format they provide. Then go to http://www.sxc.hu/ and choose
some of the free photos there. I'm sure that you have observed that
pictures are almost essential for an attractive web site and that the
relevance of the picture to the topic is not considered important.
I guess what I need is a REAL artist...someone who can take a web page
and make it look great without using "Hollywood" type special effects,
ect.
Maybe, but good graphic designers are difficult to find and they would
probably insist on a total redesign of your site.

Bob

Dear DoReMe...

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my posting.

It's clear from your remarks that I could benefit greatly from your
canernous vault of knowledge and wisdom.

Can you send me a few links to some of the sites that you created?

Thanks-In-Advance,

Bob

dorayme

Good plan. If only you could hook up with some new friend in Dublin.
I think there's a site like that but it's name escapes me at the
moment.

new friend? site like that? huh?

Travis Newbury

Bob said:
Travis.....thanks for taking the time to respond and thanks for the
good advice.
Can I take a quick look at some of your websites?

I don't make websites. I create Flash based e-learning and webcast
development tools.

dorayme

Bob said:
Dear DoReMe...

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my posting.

It's clear from your remarks that I could benefit greatly from your
canernous vault of knowledge and wisdom.

Can you send me a few links to some of the sites that you created?

Thanks-In-Advance,

Bob

"canernous" eh? Not sure I like the sound of this. I am
suspecting you are posting questions in bad faith. That Travis
picked up on this possibility way ahead of me and now I feel bad
about thinking he might have been a touch ... well... whatever...

I suggested you at least contact local designers for a good
reason (you _did_ say you were not interested in a free lunch).

Please do not disfigure my name, it is dorayme. If you are in any
way sarcastic to me from now on, I will get Luigi (whom I am on
good terms with) to killfile you. You will not like that, trust
me.

Travis Newbury

Marty said:
If you're still looking for someone let me know - would be happy to
discuss privately.
http://face2interface.com/

Your kidding right?

Your pages don't validate. Your blue border is broken. The services
link changes to a completely different design. Clicking hosting takes
you to a 3rd completely different design. All three have different
navigation. And the worst thing you do it you LIE on your website!
You claim "trademarks" but you own none of the trademarks you claim.

How can someone trust you if you blatantly lie on your website?

Marty

You're right that my pages don't validate. My site is entirely dynamic
and uses several different design templates and switches between them
unless you choose the option of choosing a particular one.

As for the trademark issue, my understanding was that I am free to
claim a trademark if not already taken, without going through the
process of registration. Thought it was like a copyright in that
respect. I do not claim any "registered trademarks".

Travis Newbury

Marty said:
As for the trademark issue, my understanding was that I am free to
claim a trademark if not already taken, without going through the
process of registration. Thought it was like a copyright in that
respect. I do not claim any "registered trademarks".

Do a search, several are taken.

Travis Newbury

dorayme said:
Geez Travis!

"Geez Travis" because I am stating the obvious (which is obviously not
obvious to the OP)

Or "Geez Travis" because you should not do what other successful
companies are doing?

Bob

Travis...I want to follow the lead of you.....

Can you show some of your work....I'm sure it's brilliant!

Bob

Travis Newbury

Bob said:
Travis...I want to follow the lead of you.....
Can you show some of your work....I'm sure it's brilliant!

Follow my lead for what? Are you making e-learning? A webcast?

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Travis Newbury quothed:
I don't make websites. I create Flash based e-learning and webcast
development tools.

Interesting. Are you anti-establishment or is this just some peculiar
Travisty of yours?