    In other words I want a method to be called after a particular time
    interval ..may be few seconds interval...

    Thanks

    rajiv04, Jul 28, 2003

  2. rajiv04

    Jack Klein Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:52:57 -0700, "E. Robert Tisdale"
    <> wrote in comp.lang.c++:

    > Thomas Matthews wrote:
    >
    > > rajiv04 wrote:
    > >
    > >> I want to have delays while calling the method(which basically
    > >> displays the information).I am using MSVC++. How can I achieve that?
    > >> I have an idea that in Java we can use sleep() for threads
    > >> but what about in C++?
    > >>
    > >> In other words I want a method to be called
    > >> after a particular time interval ..may be few seconds interval...

    > > The _standard_ C++ language has no delay or sleep functions.
    > > These are platform specific functions.

    > Specifically -- POSIX conforming platforms.

    ....and quite a few non-POSIX conforming platforms.

    But given these two facts...

    1. POSIX is off-topic here.

    2. The OP specifically stated he is using Microsoft's compiler, and
    therefore is not running on a POSIX platform.

    [snip off-topic drivel mentioning "unistd.h"]

    Kindly engage brain before posting, dipstick.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

    Jack Klein, Jul 29, 2003

  3. rajiv04

    rajiv04 Guest

    Thanks a lot for your insight.

    Originally posted by Thomas Matthews
    > rajiv04 wrote:
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > I want to have delays while calling the method(which

    > basically
    > > displays the information).I am using MSVC++. How can I achieve

    > that?
    > > Any clues pls......
    > > I have an idea that in Java we can use sleep() for threads but

    > what
    > > abt in c++?
    > >
    > > In other words I want a method to be called after a particular

    > time
    > > interval ..may be few seconds interval...
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > --

    > http://dbforums.com/http://dbforums.com
    >
    > The _standard_ C++ language has no delay or sleep functions. These
    > are platform specific functions. Check your compiler's documentation.
    > Also search their newsgroups and FAQs. See the welcome.txt link
    > below.
    >
    > --
    > Thomas Matthews
    >
    > C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    > http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt"]http://www.s-
    > lack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt[/url]
    > C++ Faq: http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite"]http://www.para-
    > shift.com/c++-faq-lite[/url]
    > C Faq: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/c-faq/top.html"]http://www.-
    > eskimo.com/~scs/c-faq/top.html[/url]
    > alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    > http://www.raos.demon.uk/acllc-c++/faq.html"]http://w-
    > ww.raos.demon.uk/acllc-c++/faq.html[/url]
    > Other sites:

    http://www.josuttis.com/http://www.josuttis.com --
    C++ STL Library book

    rajiv04, Jul 29, 2003
  4. E. Robert Tisdale wrote:

    > Thomas Matthews wrote:
    >
    >> rajiv04 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to have delays while calling the method(which basically
    >>> displays the information).I am using MSVC++. How can I achieve that?
    >>> I have an idea that in Java we can use sleep() for threads
    >>> but what about in C++?
    >>>
    >>> In other words I want a method to be called after a particular time
    >>> interval ..may be few seconds interval...

    >> The _standard_ C++ language has no delay or sleep functions.
    >> These are platform specific functions.

    > Specifically -- POSIX conforming platforms.
    >
    >> Check your compiler's documentation.
    >> Also search their newsgroups and FAQs.
    >> See the welcome.txt link below.

    E. Robert,

    Please note that POSIX compliant platforms do have a sleep()
    function, the _functionality_ may be in other operating
    systems under other other names, such as semaphores, mutexes,
    signals and events. All of this is off-topic in _this_
    newsgroup.

    -- Thomas

    Thomas Matthews, Jul 29, 2003